Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
Forum Member

K5 Live View: Live Exposure Adjustments Visible in "M" Mode?

During Liveview operation of the K5, is it possible to view live adjustment to exposure on the LCD during manual mode?

Before it was stolen, I could determine the exposure I was looking for on the LCD of my K30 in manual mode by adjusting a combination of ISO, shutter, aperture etc..... ie set aperture, set iso, and then input a quicker shutter speed, for example, darker image on the lcd.

So does the original K5 have this feature as well?.....if I increase the shutter speed or aperture while viewing my composition in LV on the K5, will the image on the LCD reflect this exposure change by darkening or lightening based on a change in ISO/Shutter/Aperture OR in "M" mode does the LCD always display a bright scene for the prurposes of easier focusing and composition?

Is anything different on the K5 II?

08-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It tries to keep a bright screen....it does lighten up or darken if you use exposure compensation, though.
08-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Right, i understand exposure compensation works on lightening or darkening the image, but what about aperture or shutter or iso in manual mode?
08-13-2013, 03:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It keeps the screen bright, aperture and shutter speed do not affect the camera until you fire the shutter. Optical preview does something weird as well in live view, but does not give you a real preview.

08-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manacho2005 Quote
It keeps the screen bright, aperture and shutter speed do not affect the camera until you fire the shutter. Optical preview does something weird as well in live view, but does not give you a real preview.

Thanks, so previewing exposure is NOT possible in manual mode then. Too bad, its nice when camera makers allow both to happen in manual liveview - constant bright exposure for focusing or studio strobe work, and then exposure preview/simulated exposure for finding the right exposure without shooting a bunch of shots to check exposure levels.

any chance this has changed in the K5 II?
08-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by godwinaustin Quote
Thanks, so previewing exposure is NOT possible in manual mode then. Too bad, its nice when camera makers allow both to happen in manual liveview - constant bright exposure for focusing or studio strobe work, and then exposure preview/simulated exposure for finding the right exposure without shooting a bunch of shots to check exposure levels.

any chance this has changed in the K5 II?
My cheapo Sammy NX1000 has it. "Live view" is actually what you see on lcd screen (no special "lv" mode). No viewfinder. LCD image is MUCH clearer, than LV on my K-5. Sammy offers 8x mag when you focus AF-enabled lens in manual mode and I think 6x mag while focusing manual-only lens ( 90% of my glass is like that - mainly Samyang/Rokinon heavy artillery and my pocketable Sammy looks so funny with e.g. 5 lb Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 prime on it ) You just hit 'OK' button on jog-type selector.
K-5 is an amazing photo -taking tool. It simply has some shortcomings in manual focusing department ( for me "live view" is a joke).That's one of the reasons I ordered 3.25 mag right angle finder for it. I'm getting it today and hopefully it will help ( I don't really care about cutting off the settings info on the bottom of viewfinder)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
COOLPIX L26  Photo 

Last edited by atarget; 08-13-2013 at 01:13 PM.
08-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If I'm not sure about my exposure, I hit "digital preview" and check my histogram. I even have the RAW/FX set for digital preview; you can set the on/off switch overthrow to digital as well.