Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by az1895 Quote
I think I let the technical complexity somehow fool me into thinking there was somehow too much to do. Im one that always thinks if something is there , then that "something" always needs to be used , set , manipulated , or changed. IM JUST GOING TO SET IT AND FORGET IT !
I have problems with memory too. Was hit by a drunk driver in 2000 and its very hard with learning new things sometimes. I did manage to get some fantastic macro images indoors last night , but white balance was way off (florescent). Now I know what needs to be adjusted.......but gotta go find it ! My images were so sharp I was shocked ! Rikenon XR 28mm reversed....WOW ! Wow ...WOW !
My whole world just opened up to a new dimension I never knew existed. Its not coming easy yet though.....lots of work to get it right.
One of the beauties of digital is that the white balance can be corrected in processing. Some packages (at least) have presets whic will apply the same corrections tha tthe standard set corrections in camera could do (and also to fix it if you have the wrong correction applied).

08-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I did the 'man thing' with my new DSLR (which at the time was a K-r) and I sat around and fiddled with all the settings and buttons until I knew what they did. Took heaps of photos of mundane things in my study seeing what things did lol. Enjoy the K5IIs =)
08-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
+1 to shooting in RAW. For old duffers like me (I grew up with a Praktica IV) forgetting to set up properly can usually be fixed with software when images are in RAW.
RAW+ gives you the option of seeing the jpegs, as they come out of the camera, before you start your processing.
Enjoy your camera, and stay in touch on this forum, because there are a lot of very helpful people here.
08-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes....Im very glad Im here. I had a major problem today though with my new camera (K5IIs) . I was in Juarez Mexico getting dental work done and my GF was taking videos of me crying (I hate needles). About 5 minutes into the video she said it got warm , shut off , and that's it ! ? I don't know whats wrong but it now wont work or even turn back on ? It powers up and shuts right off about 1 second later ? Somethings wrong and if I wasn't in so much misery I would be pursuing whats wrong. I took the battery out and letting it just sit for now. Gonna contact Pentax (Ricoh) tomorrow and see what they say. It wont stay on long enough to do a default reset so Im just in a quandary what to do. I feel very let down and going to research on line a bit and see if I come up with anything. Its brand new ! 367 on the shutter as of yesterday....Dadnabbit ! She said it actually got very very warm on the rear bottom and then nothing.

08-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by az1895 Quote
I think I let the technical complexity somehow fool me into thinking there was somehow too much to do. Im one that always thinks if something is there , then that "something" always needs to be used , set , manipulated , or changed. IM JUST GOING TO SET IT AND FORGET IT !
I have problems with memory too. Was hit by a drunk driver in 2000 and its very hard with learning new things sometimes. I did manage to get some fantastic macro images indoors last night , but white balance was way off (florescent). Now I know what needs to be adjusted.......but gotta go find it ! My images were so sharp I was shocked ! Rikenon XR 28mm reversed....WOW ! Wow ...WOW !
My whole world just opened up to a new dimension I never knew existed. Its not coming easy yet though.....lots of work to get it right.

These guys all love Lightroom. I'm older and prefer the raw utility that comes with Elements. I think you may find it an easier task to learn. Color balance and under exposure are fairly easy to correct.