Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

"Dreaded" Seagull 1x-3.25x right angle finder

Maybe it's just me but I received it today, mounted on K-5 and took some test pics with a manual lens. I got stunned. The thing wins hands down with Pentax "live view" for precise manual focusing. It's quite well manufactured. Optics are first class for me. Pentax adapter fits snugly my K-5. Settings with test pictures matched exactly : one with calibrated CIF and one with manually focusing the subject using Seagull finder. Both were right on money after I magnified the two pictures 32x.That's what I needed. And I don't care for negative reviews by various "photography experts" from Amazon dot com.

Amazon.com: Seagull 1x-3.25x Angle ViewFinder for Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Leica, Pentax and Olympus DSLR SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

I actually purchased "amazon warehouse deal" from the same site. I just took a shot - what wrong may go with that kind of stuff ? how badly abused may it be ?
I was sort of lucky : the thing is actually brand new in factory sealed box. Most likely some teenager got it as a Christmas present from some remotely related cousin and couldn't find any use of "curved monocular" Then sold it to Amazon or traded for same duke nukem...
It registered in my wallet @ $29 plus free shipping.
I strongly recommend.
p.s.
Disclaimer : I'm in no way associated or affiliated with or employed by ( including family members and pets) Seagull Corp.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
COOLPIX L26  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
COOLPIX L26  Photo 

Last edited by atarget; 08-13-2013 at 06:32 PM.
08-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yep. Right angle finders - or Refconverters - are one of my secret tools.
I have one with me at all times.
The Pentax versions are sublime.
Glad to know the Seagull ones are not garbage as they seem to be the only reasonable alternative outside of Japan and Pentax OEM.
08-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #3

That's an unusual magnification. I had the 1.1x - 3.3 x version. What I wasn't crazy about was that it was varifocal. It is very useful for still shots. I prefer the Tenpa 1.36x viewfinder magnifier. You got yours for a great price.

Last edited by Action Jackson; 08-14-2013 at 08:02 AM.
08-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Action Jackson Quote
That's an unusual magnification. I had the 1.1x - 3.3 x version. What I wasn't crazy about was that it was varifocal. It is very useful for still shots. I prefer the Tenba 1.36x viewfinder magnifier. You got yours for a great price.
Here's what I did : I took a perfectly in-focus shot using only (calibrated) CIF and left focusing ring of my lens in fixed position. Then I put on anglefinder and focused top element. Subsequently I put marks on (rubber) top moving ring and on the bottom (metal) base. That's my reference position. The fact that device is varifocal is actually advantageous. As my vision deteriorates over time I will be able to adjust focal length of anglefinder's top optical element, put new marks on and rock and roll again. So far my vision was 20/20 and I'm 56 now. No glasses. Even for reading. So I don't expect quick deterioration here...

Last edited by atarget; 08-14-2013 at 04:52 AM.
08-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #5

Putting marks is a great idea!

Enjoy it's a very good quality product.
08-14-2013, 06:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one too, and it has its uses, for sure. One thing which I should have thought about was that when using an LED light panel attached to the hotshoe, there's not enough room to use the right-angle adapter. That would have been nice, but oh well...I guess I'll have to use a flash mount plate or something similar.

I do hope to use this more when taking moon pictures, it was very handy when the camera was pointed high.
08-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #7

Pentax really needs to make swivel screens.

08-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes and no - I know I'd have sheared a swivel screen off in one camera drop. I try to be careful, but I do really value robustness.
08-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #9

Nice to know there are decent alternatives to the OEM Pentax Refconverters. Have you entered a review in the database?
08-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Nice to know there are decent alternatives to the OEM Pentax Refconverters. Have you entered a review in the database?
I sure will. Thanks for a reminder.
05-14-2014, 09:17 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I see there are different models with different magnification ranges. What is the practical difference, in use? Any suggestions for which one to choose?
thanks
07-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by seadog Quote
I see there are different models with different magnification ranges. What is the practical difference, in use? Any suggestions for which one to choose?
thanks
Besides allowing you to be able to get really low down to the ground, it greatly magnifies what you see and is particularly advantageous for manual focusing.
07-02-2014, 02:47 PM   #13
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Action Jackson Quote
Besides allowing you to be able to get really low down to the ground, it greatly magnifies what you see and is particularly advantageous for manual focusing.
I think what seadog referred to was the difference between the models (1-2.5x, 1-3.25x, 1-3.3x) - if there is any other difference than the magnification. Difference in quality?

At least, that's what I am curious about
07-03-2014, 06:57 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I think what seadog referred to was the difference between the models (1-2.5x, 1-3.25x, 1-3.3x) - if there is any other difference than the magnification. Difference in quality?

At least, that's what I am curious about
Ah, I see. Sorry only had the one model to use personally. I believe they were all varifocus.