Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
08-20-2013, 05:11 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax fish eye zoom 10-17mm ?

I´ve been offered an used Pentax fish eye zoom 10-17mm for a pretty good price. ´
What do you guys think about this lens, is it any good or should i look elsewhere?

08-20-2013, 05:19 AM   #2

I've been looking at this lens myself. It gets very good reviews here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DA-10-17mm-F4-Fisheye-Zoom-Lens.html

I think the question is whether you would make use of the wide end of the lens, where you get the full fish eye effect. At 17mm, it sounds like it's "almost" a normal. And it's not very fast. I think it would be a fun and useful lens, myself.

Last edited by Takumar55; 08-20-2013 at 05:29 AM.
08-20-2013, 05:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I didn't have an 8mm FE I'd seriously consider the 10-17.
08-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a lot of fun, particularly if you have pets or kids. It's good indoors, too. I used it exclusively on a trip to the Shedd Aquarium and got some great shots.

Plus, it keeps its value. If you find you don't like it, you can resell it for essentially no loss.

08-20-2013, 05:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

A lot of people love it, have seen some amazing photos taken with it in the sample photo gallery. But I dont know what the deal is, what your budget is, and whether you will find use for it. But its definitely a very interesting lens and a lot of people recommend it
08-20-2013, 05:57 AM   #6
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I had one the past months and it is a great lens wich you can have lots off fun.
08-20-2013, 06:14 AM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

Looking at your profile, your smallest focal length is 17 mm. The DA10-17mm will nicely add to your line-up and complement it.

As mentioned above, the DA10-17 mm gives you both fisheye and wide angle options.

I have personally both DA15mm and DA10-17mm. Two very different lenses. I prefer the IQ of the DA15mm, but the convenience/flexibility of the DA10-17mm has not equal.

Hope that the comment may help.

08-20-2013, 06:19 AM   #8

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
I have that particular lens and I really like it a lot. I have used it a couple of times for the Single in Challenge where I post a shot daily this was the set for June: SI June 2013 - a set on Flickr. I still have a lot to earn but I did get some neat ones in this time. This one was my first Single in challenge so be gentle with me: bigted's Album: Single in November 2012 - PentaxForums.com. Hopefully this gives you some ideas on what you can do with it. It is a very versatile lens and my favourite for doing the Single in Challenge.

bigted
08-20-2013, 06:26 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That was the first lens I bought about a month after I bought my first DSLR (K10d) in 2008. It did more to convince me than any other lens since that cameras can give us a different and creative view of the world. Personally, I think it should be in everyone's kit. It does take some getting used to though, but that's part of the fun.
08-20-2013, 06:42 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I have one. It's a wonderful lens. I us it mostly at 17mm where the fisheye effect is least noticeable.. It adds 'punch' to photos that no other lens can.

You have to play the angles to get what you want...but when you get it right the photographs are exceptional.

I don't know why anyone would get a prime fisheye lens when this wonderful zoom can give you so many options in fisheye...to near...near...but not quite....ultra wide angle is available.

It is very well constructed and very sharp....but I think you need to be an experienced photographer to get the most out of this exceptional lens.
08-20-2013, 06:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I own it, and it's a versatile and fun lens. Versatile in a sense that it's not so fishy at the 17 end, and very fishy at the 10. With smart composition, you can hide the fact that it's a fisheye at 17.

Another nice feature is it's close focussing distance. Be carefull when using the viewfinder, it's easy to get too close to your subject and bump the delicate front element.
08-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by peos99 Quote
I´ve been offered an used Pentax fish eye zoom 10-17mm for a pretty good price. ´
What do you guys think about this lens, is it any good or should i look elsewhere?
I'll go along with others above: I'm glad I bought this lens. I thought it was just for fun, but it can be used with serious intent too.

I tend to use it at the 10mm end. Without care in composition, it can look gimmicky. But if I choose a line in the scene that I want to end up straight, and have this line go through the centre of the lens when shooting, it will appear straight in the final result. I have seen some high-impact landscapes like this - get (for example) the surface of a lake straight, and things near the corners (clouds, etc) can appear very dramatic. Lightroom can reduce the amount of distortion by a controlled amount - perhaps other software can too.

I have to be careful not to get my feet or my shadow in the photo! And it gets tempting to keep moving forward - don't try this near the edge of a cliff.
08-20-2013, 07:41 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok, I didn´t realize that the fish effect was over the whole range, thought it was just at around 10mm.

Hmmm I will buy it if i get a good deal. the price here in sweden for a new lens is about 780 dollars and that is too much for me just to play with.
08-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I agree with lesmore49 almost completely. It's a nice multi-purpose (or maybe just bi-purpose) lens, with fisheye on one end, and ultra-wide on the other. It's fun to play around with, and since I'm only in this for fun, it suits me perfectly. It's fun to use on my K30, but I also took it to an aquarium recently with my NEX-6. The following was taken at 10mm in pretty bad lighting conditions.

08-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I own it, and it's a versatile and fun lens. Versatile in a sense that it's not so fishy at the 17 end, and very fishy at the 10. With smart composition, you can hide the fact that it's a fisheye at 17.
Yep... I agree it's versatile and it's one of my favorite lenses. If it's a good deal and you think you'd use it, go for it!

(I paid $50 for mine on CL, but that's not the norm.)