Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sTi Quote
WB setting on the camera is not "irrelevant", as your Raw converter uses the camera white balance setting as its starting point.
You could compare the embedded JPG preview images with what you get in your programs. If there is a large discrepancy between the JPGs and what you get from Raw conversion software (with WB set to "camera"), the problem is with the software (probably bad color profile or wrong interpretation of white balance values) and not bad calibration of your camera.
The embedded JPGs show the exact same weird white balance as the three raw convertors that I have tested. As mentioned previously, only RPP gets the WB right. It is an odd little program with very few features that does certain things very well.

Rob

08-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #17
sTi
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
The embedded JPGs show the exact same weird white balance as the three raw convertors that I have tested. As mentioned previously, only RPP gets the WB right. It is an odd little program with very few features that does certain things very well.

Rob
So does RPP ignore the WB values set in-camera and instead uses an automatic WB detection of its own?
08-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sTi Quote
So does RPP ignore the WB values set in-camera and instead uses an automatic WB detection of its own?
I believe that is correct.

Rob

Edit: RPP was the raw convertor that I used for my best images for about 2 years. It is Mac only and has only basic features, The quality of its raw conversions is excellent, with superb white balance but somewhat weak highlight recovery. I have since migrated to Photo Ninja for virtually all of my work. Awesome program. Those who might enjoy playing with a quirky program that gives very good results should give RPP a try. It's free.

Last edited by robgo2; 08-22-2013 at 05:54 PM.
08-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Problem solved!

I spoke by telephone with Ricoh-Pentax technical support today. The technician had no idea what was causing the white balance problem, but he suggested that I reset the camera to its default settings in the Setup menu (under the wrench icon). That fixed it. Images are no longer yellow-orange. So, the problem was with the camera, not the software, and did not require any major work to resolve it.

Thanks to all who tried to help.

Rob

08-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Aha. So somewhere in the guts of the camera (and its million adjustable settings) a WB mal-adjustment was lurking.

A useful reminder about the value of resetting to a vanilla config sometimes.