Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K5 18-135 does not lock focus under 30mm zoom

Hi,

First I'd like to say that PentaxForums is great. I've been reading for some time until I finally bit the bullet and got the K5 18-135 combo . Now armed with a little experience I am posting my first post.

Since getting the K5 two months ago I have taken about 2800 shots, a few have turned out ok.

However i have experienced a serious problem with the K5. It refuses to lock focus and allow me to release the shutter between 18mm and 30mm of the zoom when on AF>S. An aggravating and disappointing experience I have to say.

I don't know why this is happening I have tried practically every setting on the camera. I shoot in full day light and it happens on every setting on the mode dial.

I also experienced the camera jumping 2990 in frame count from one shutter release to the next at 929 but shutter count (off exif data) remained correct. I reset the frame count to zero and started again. I like to keep my framecount on continuos for the life of my cameras, not for this one now.

I hope someone can shed some light on these issues. I am sending the camera back to Pentax this week unless I can find a fix for focus issue.

I've attached a couple of pics.

Cheers
Frank.

Last edited by FreeSpirit9; 06-29-2014 at 03:32 AM.
08-31-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi,

Well send your camera to repair center (I am sure you already tried resetting etc.). Please keep us posted. The pictures are nice.

Cheers!
08-31-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Francisco Quote
Hi,

First I'd like to say that PentaxForums is great. I've been reading for some time until I finally bit the bullet and got the K5 18-135 combo . Now armed with a little experience I am posting my first post.

Since getting the K5 two months ago I have taken about 2800 shots, a few have turned out ok.

However i have experienced a serious problem with the K5. It refuses to lock focus and allow me to release the shutter between 18mm and 30mm of the zoom when on AF>S. An aggravating and disappointing experience I have to say.

I don't know why this is happening I have tried practically every setting on the camera. I shoot in full day light and it happens on every setting on the mode dial.

I also experienced the camera jumping 2990 in frame count from one shutter release to the next at 929 but shutter count (off exif data) remained correct. I reset the frame count to zero and started again. I like to keep my framecount on continuos for the life of my cameras, not for this one now.

I hope someone can shed some light on these issues. I am sending the camera back to Pentax this week unless I can find a fix for focus issue.

I've attached a couple of pics.

Cheers
Frank.
Have you tried adjusting the AF? Odds are that your lens has a bit of FF or BF. Fixing Front and Back Focus - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

As for the file numbering, the camera starts by looking at the newest file on the SD card. You can also reset the sequence number through the menu.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-31-2013, 05:16 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you Deedee and thank you Adam for your suggestion.

I have adjusted the BF on the camera using your suggestion as yes there is a little bit of BF. However this has not cured the issue of the camera not locking the focus in the problem zoom range in order to release the shutter. What has happened however is that the range on the zoom in which the problem occurs has reduce to the 18mm to 24mmm range (from 18-30mm).

Any other suggestions? I have tested the FF and BF adjustment from -10 to +10 and tested it in each of the settings to cover all bases and the problem is still there.

Cheers.

08-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
At 18mm-30mm your depth of field is different (shallower) than at higher focal lengths.

With AF-S, the K5 looks, and locks focus once, when the shutter is pressed.

What is probably happening is that you have the custom setting #15 - AF.S set at option 1 (Default)- which requires the subject be in focus for the camera to fire, which at 18mm-30mm will be critical if not done right with AF.S.

With AF.C, the K5 is always changing focus, so there is never an issue.

So your K5 is acting normal.

08-31-2013, 08:52 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
At 18mm-30mm your depth of field is different (shallower) than at higher focal lengths.

With AF-S, the K5 looks, and locks focus once, when the shutter is pressed.

What is probably happening is that you have the custom setting #15 - AF.S set at option 1 (Default)- which requires the subject be in focus for the camera to fire, which at 18mm-30mm will be critical if not done right with AF.S.

With AF.C, the K5 is always changing focus, so there is never an issue.
Yes, custom setting 15 at option1. Problem is that the camera focuses on the subject but refuses to lock. I take the subject out of focus and the camera re-focuses ok but refuses to lock. If I move the zoom out above 30mm then back down to 18 it focuses and locks on the same subject on which it would previously fail to lock. Works ok on AF.C and Manual as would be expected.

I am beginning to suspect that there is a AF sensor issue with the camera.

I am sending it back tomorrow.
08-31-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Yes, custom setting 15 at option1. Problem is that the camera focuses on the subject but refuses to lock. I take the subject out of focus and the camera re-focuses ok but refuses to lock. If I move the zoom out above 30mm then back down to 18 it focuses and locks on the same subject on which it would previously fail to lock. Works ok on AF.C and Manual as would be expected.

I am beginning to suspect that there is a AF sensor issue with the camera.

I am sending it back tomorrow.
Are you using Phase detect (Viewfinder) or Contrast detect (Live View)?

It is possible that if you are using live view (contrast detect), there is not enough light (or time) to get a lock in AF.S, and zooming out gives the K5 enough light to get a lock.
Also, in Live view the aperture changes to allow light into the camera and using AF.S in that mode takes longer and appears to not lock, but actually does.

Also, the DA18-135 is a DC motor lens that takes a bit of time to move the focus.
08-31-2013, 10:02 PM   #8

Original Poster
I'm using the viewfinder. There should be enough light for the sensor to detect the focus point accurately.

08-31-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When you say it does not lock focus what is the green hex doing? Solid green, not green, blinking gren?

One possibility is the minimum focus distance, if you get too close the lens will not lock. I think in this case the green hex is blinking.
I doubt that is the issue but just in case.....
08-31-2013, 10:52 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
When you say it does not lock focus what is the green hex doing? Solid green, not green, blinking gren?

One possibility is the minimum focus distance, if you get too close the lens will not lock. I think in this case the green hex is blinking.
Yep. I'm trying to get to the bottom of it too.

There is no interlock - either in software or hardware - that would cause this to happen as described. As such, there is some user combination that is causing this.

Since the DA 18-135 has a silent motor, it's probable that the lens is hunting, and in AF.S it just doesn't lock on.

The combination may also be a single focal point for focus and center point for exposure, both linked, and coupled with custom setting #15 at option 1.

The fact that this works in AF.C and other lenses makes me pretty sure it's a combination of settings.
09-01-2013, 12:29 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote

It's Blinking Green but the subject could be 5 metres or 200 metres away.
09-01-2013, 12:35 AM   #12

Original Poster
I have tried an identical K5 with 18-135 and no problem with it focusing on the same subject, same distance. light, etc, with Mode Dial set to Green. Tried mine and the problem persists.
09-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Yep. I'm trying to get to the bottom of it too.

There is no interlock - either in software or hardware - that would cause this to happen as described. As such, there is some user combination that is causing this.

Since the DA 18-135 has a silent motor, it's probable that the lens is hunting, and in AF.S it just doesn't lock on.

The combination may also be a single focal point for focus and center point for exposure, both linked, and coupled with custom setting #15 at option 1.

The fact that this works in AF.C and other lenses makes me pretty sure it's a combination of settings.
Have tried focus points at SEL and Auto and still same issue. I normally use central focus point.
I don't understand why the combination that you mention above would be a problem.

As I posted earlier I've tried an identical K5 18-135 and no problems with it.

I appreciate your suggestions. I've unpacked the camera twice now to try what you suggest. I am not looking forward to being without my camera for a few weeks while Pentax figures out the problem.
09-01-2013, 08:24 AM   #14
Site Supporter

I have tried an identical K5 with 18-135 and no problem with it focusing on the same subject, same distance. light, etc, with Mode Dial set to Green. Tried mine and the problem persists.
Have tried focus points at SEL and Auto and still same issue. I normally use central focus point.
I don't understand why the combination that you mention above would be a problem.

As I posted earlier I've tried an identical K5 18-135 and no problems with it.

I appreciate your suggestions. I've unpacked the camera twice now to try what you suggest. I am not looking forward to being without my camera for a few weeks while Pentax figures out the problem.
I don't doubt on the "outside" they are identical, but there is probably a setting combination that is different.

If you want to Skype a call to me, drop me a PM and I will take out my DA18-135 and K5 and try and duplicate the issue with you on the phone.

Your call.
09-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks for the offer, very kind.

I did go over each of the settings on both cameras when I was testing the problem to make sure everything was the same. I even made sure to use the exact same type/size SD card.

Still no success.

Both cameras gave the same light readings at the same settings but the other was faster at focusing and locked at 18mm whilst mine did not.

I am sending it back today.

Thanks again for your help.

I will post the result when I get the camera back from Pentax in a few weeks (my guess is 4 weeks).