Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-5 vs. K-5IIs on DXO mark

I'm not sure if "pros" here care much for DXOmark ratings ( they have a well equipped lab...) but all three models : K-5, K-5II and K-5IIs received the same score ( of 82)

DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

09-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

K5 and K5II have absolutely the same IQ.

But..

Last time I checked (few months ago) K5IIs was 82 when K5II was 81.

Maybe there was some kind of update?

Anyway, I really don't care, doesn't make a difference to me
09-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's because DxO doesn't really factor sharpness into their scoring. But even if they did, the difference would still be negligible for reasons that have been discussed endlessly in various threads/reviews.

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas:
Last time I checked (few months ago) K5IIs was 82 when K5II was 81.
They have always been the same AFAIK, though there was a bit of minor variation in the sub-scores.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Basically, they are the same sensor, with different AA filters. Any differences in measurement are probably due to sample variation and are within the range of testing error. The reason to the K5 II would be to get the improved auto focus system (and maybe a little improvement on SR).

09-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Basically, they are the same sensor, with different AA filters. Any differences in measurement are probably due to sample variation and are within the range of testing error. The reason to the K5 II would be to get the improved auto focus system (and maybe a little improvement on SR).
To paraphrase a little ( it actually pertains to "real" photographers, i.e. the ones who predominantly use fully manual glass) :

If I drive manual I don't really care if some "improved models" of my car have 7 or 8 speed automatic transmission...
09-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter

The best part of the K5 II and K5IIs is that I bought a low mileage used K5 for cheap. Not buying another body until the K4 comes out and I can snap up a K3.
09-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atarget Quote
I'm not sure if "pros" here care much for DXOmark ratings ( they have a well equipped lab...) but all three models : K-5, K-5II and K-5IIs received the same score ( of 82)
DXOMark has 3 standard rating systems and all three score the same in all 3, so yes there is no change in all three. Since the test is how good the image is and not how good the AF performed etc.

A little detailed review of each parameter like Landscape, Portrait and Low light (They call it Sports / I doubt that else 7D would have been way up to the top).

Why do you ask though? Is it for generally discussing or are you deciding something?

Cheers!
09-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote

Why do you ask though? Is it for generally discussing or are you deciding something?

Cheers!
Didn't see any question mark in my post. Did you?
And yes I decided on something - out of 12 lenses I own only 3 ( three) are AF.

09-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yeah I had those too. I left that in the last century. Enjoy with whatever you decided.