Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K5 iis exposure bracketing timer

Hi
Just wondering if the K5iis has exposure bracketing with timer?

Also how many steps can be chosen with this option

Cheers

09-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes. With 5 brackets and adjustable amount between them. Timer is 2 seconds, I think.
09-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An easier approach, at least for me - is to enable mirror up, then go to LiveView and shoot the bracket. In this way the mirror is not being exercised for each frame, its quicker - no 2 second delay waiting for the mirror induced vibrations to dampen out, and you will probably be in LiveView up on a tripod anyway.

09-17-2013, 12:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks.. In that case Is there any practical reason why without live view and 2s timer the mirror would keep flapping for exposure bracketing?

09-17-2013, 05:37 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The bracketing feature essentially automates the "normal" picture taking sequence. The normal sequence is the user presses the shutter release, mirror lifts, shutter opens then closes (thereby exposing the sensor/film for the desired amount of time), mirror releases and comes down completing the sequence/operation. The bracketing feature, just performs this operational sequence for the number of times indicated in the bracketing setting - up to 5 (however adjusting the exposure settings [over or under exposed] for amount and type of exposure variation desired - up to +- 2 ev). So that is why you have the mirror "flapping". The two second delay, injects a two second delay right after the mirror lifts, so that the vibrations from the operation dampen out just prior to the shutter opening and closing.

The mirror up, essentially pulls the mirror up, and then executes the sequence - in that the mirror up command is in force, the mirror is never released, not allowing it to come down. With the mirror not being lifted and released the 2 second delay is no longer necessary to dampen the now non existent vibrations from the mirror not moving.

The other thing that you can do is to set "one push bracketing". What this does is normally, you need to maintain pushing (depressing) the shutter release (even on the wired remote) in order to take all x (2, 3 or 5 bracketed images). If you release the shutter button prematurely the sequence will stop short of the desired number of images. With "one button bracketing" set (page 159 of the manual), having to hold the shutter release down is no longer necessary. Just depress the shutter release once, and the 2, 3 or 5 images are automagically taken.

Also, normally the bracketing exposure are taken around the nominal 0 ev. However, by using the [+/-] button, you can introduce a bias, so that the bracketing is taken around say 5 frames taken around a +2/3 ev base (or what ever value you dial in).

09-17-2013, 05:46 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
An easier approach, at least for me - is to enable mirror up, then go to LiveView
Going to live view means the mirror goes up, doesn't it? What did you mean by enabling mirror up? Just wondering if I am missing something.
09-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxpixie Quote
Going to live view means the mirror goes up, doesn't it? What did you mean by enabling mirror up? Just wondering if I am missing something.
When you go to LiveView, the mirror goes up. Subsequently, when you depress the shutter, the camera captures the image and the mirror goes down. The camera then determines it still is in LiveView, and lifts the mirror. When you wrap bracketing operation around this for 2, 3. or 5 shots, the mirror will normally come down after each image is captured.

You can enable the Mirror up mode by going to the 4 way set of buttons, depressing the top one (^), and then using the side arrows (< or >) to select MUP (far right option). That will enable the Mirror in the Lock Up position, until you take it out of the mode.

By using the Mirror Up (or Mirror Lock Up), when in LiveView, the camera body will not release the mirror after each image - thereby keeping the mirror in the locked up position.

hope that helps...

09-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Thanks for your help! On my K5, when I go to LV, the mirror up option becomes unavailable. I can still go to bracketing, though, and successfully shoot any bracketed sequence without the mirror flapping up and down. It is very fast, just like you mentioned earlier. Would I be wrong to say that whenever in LV, the mirror just stays up? The sensor has to be seeing the action in order for the camera to be in LV, right? Forgive my ignorance, I am just trying to learn....
09-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #9
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Could this be a difference between the K-5 and K-5ii?

@interested_observer, thanks for the tips.
09-18-2013, 03:03 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Could this be a difference between the K-5 and K-5ii?
It certainly could be. I have the K5, and neither the K5II or IIs. The advertised difference between the 3 - were only the changes for the better autofocusing in low light/darkness and the removal of the anti aliasing filter. That said, they certainly could have slipped in another change.

You could always take off the lens, putting it into LiveView, turn the camera around looking into the camera mount and take a picture - watching what the mirror does.

09-18-2013, 04:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to all for your responses!

09-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery
I wonder if there is any possibility of setting the timer only before the first exposure while not in Live view?
09-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yygomez Quote
I wonder if there is any possibility of setting the timer only before the first exposure while not in Live view?
Sure you can. Then for each image, the mirror lifts and you wait 2 seconds prior to taking the image. If you are bracketing for 3 images, you would wait the 2 seconds for each of the individual frames.

09-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #14

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Sure you can. Then for each image, the mirror lifts and you wait 2 seconds prior to taking the image. If you are bracketing for 3 images, you would wait the 2 seconds for each of the individual frames.

I said ONLY on the first
09-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yygomez Quote
I said ONLY on the first
No way that I know of and I looked.