Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
Forum Member

K5 II LCD Issue

I took my brand new K5 II out Friday night for its first real outing. It worked great but later in the evening I started noticing what looked like very colorful noise in the bottom left corner of the LCD screen. It cooled off a bit when the sun went down but didn't get below 15°C (59°F). At first I though it was on the photos but the noise was in the same spot when I zoomed in and it was showing up on the menu and info screens too. When I got back home later it had changed a bit. There seemed to be less of it and it was now black instead of different bright colors. It's like there was a bunch if small lines of dead pixels. The next morning it was still there but there was less again. It didn't seem to change until later on in the afternoon when I placed the camera on the table in the sun. It wasn't sitting there long but when I picked it up again the screen was completely back to normal and has stayed that way. Unfortunately I didn't think to take any photos of it before it went away.

Has anyone experienced anything like this or knows what may have happened? I'm a little worried that maybe there is a faulty seal and some moisture may have gotten in. Since I haven't had it a week yet I'm going to talk to the store tomorrow about it and see what they say.

09-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #2

Doesn't look right to me!

I definitely return it for a replacement - don't get fobbed off with a repair as you've only had a week!
09-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not a pleasant surprise on a week-old camera.

Was the camera exposed to rain/water that might have introduced moisture? The dealer may wish to look at the camera; if the LCD is not showing any problems, the dealer may hesitate to accept it for an exchange.

Definitely take a couple of images of the screen next time the problem appears.

- Craig
09-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a guess here, but can the lcd screen over heat if left on too long? And if so, could that cause what you saw?

09-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #5

LCD Defect

Hello,
normally that kind of trouble appears when the display is not tight any more. If what you see is some kind of multiple colours like a rainbow, than the upper layer does not fit the next one and you have a different refraction. If the distortion resembles a chess-board, than it's an electronic problem.
I would demand a new camera. I hope you have not the waiting period I have here in Southern Germany for delieverys.
09-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I still have no idea what it was or why it fixed itself. It was definitely a bunch of pixels on the screen that stopped working. It was a dry night so I'm pretty sure that moisture wasn't an issue. Anyway, they have agreed to let me exchange for another camera. Even though it went back to normal I don't trust that there won't be any more issues in the future.