Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2013, 12:24 AM   #1

taking photos with built in flash in extremely low light

Can anyone advise what settings to use with the camera to take photos with the 18-55 DA lens where the subject (an animal or bird) is in almost complete darkness, and at an unknown distance within say a 3-10 metre range (i.e. there is not enough light coming through the viewfinder to see anything other than a vague shape)? I assume in this situation it is too dim for auto focus to work, or does the TTL preflash allow the lens to focus?

The user manual is little or no help.

Thanks

09-23-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Well, the on-camera AF assist light (if it is turned on) will probably kick in before any pre-flash. If it doesn't the preflash should do the job. Try it out in a dark area of your bedroom or something.

Then just set the camera to P and fire away, or go to M and set your aperture to suit the DOF you need (using the 18-55, so you should probably go with wide open), set the shutter to 1/180, put a limit on how high you want the ISO to go (ISO 800 with the built-in flash will let you shoot to about 7 metres at f5.6, ISO 1600 just under 10m), and let the PTTL do the rest.
09-23-2013, 02:01 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
are you attempting to photograph bats or something?
09-23-2013, 04:20 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Well, the on-camera AF assist light (if it is turned on) will probably kick in before any pre-flash. If it doesn't the preflash should do the job. Try it out in a dark area of your bedroom or something.

Then just set the camera to P and fire away, or go to M and set your aperture to suit the DOF you need (using the 18-55, so you should probably go with wide open), set the shutter to 1/180, put a limit on how high you want the ISO to go (ISO 800 with the built-in flash will let you shoot to about 7 metres at f5.6, ISO 1600 just under 10m), and let the PTTL do the rest.
Thanks, I am beginning to understand this now - the AF assist function is extremely hit and miss in the dark.

With P mode, flash mode set to flash on, the flash popped up, ISO 1600, and with the AF assist lamp on and confirmed to be working, the camera struggles to focus unless there is very high contrast / definition in the subject and the subject is within 3 or 4 metres. If it can't find these conditions, it refuses to focus, and won't release the shutter.

Is this other people's experience, or is there something else I need to do?

09-23-2013, 04:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It can be frustrating in low light when the camera tells you it cant take a photo. I suggest to change AF-S to Release priority instead of the defaul focus priority in the options menu (Options menu C3 / 15) . When shooting street fair at dusk I make this change, so even if I don't nail focus, I still have a shot to decide whether it is usable or not in post.
09-23-2013, 04:48 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It sound like you might have to use manual focus, and maybe stop down the lens to get focus to be within depth of field.
09-23-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Crouch Quote
Thanks, I am beginning to understand this now - the AF assist function is extremely hit and miss in the dark.

With P mode, flash mode set to flash on, the flash popped up, ISO 1600, and with the AF assist lamp on and confirmed to be working, the camera struggles to focus unless there is very high contrast / definition in the subject and the subject is within 3 or 4 metres. If it can't find these conditions, it refuses to focus, and won't release the shutter.

Is this other people's experience, or is there something else I need to do?
Are you trying to shoot using Live View? That will make focusing harder in very low light.

09-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Iīd switch to manual focus, select f/5.6, f/8 or f/11 depending on focal length. Keep focal length below 28mm and prefocus at hiperfocal distance. Adjust flash output with FEC. and shoot.
No need to focus, everything from 3m on will be in focus and the shot will be iluminated only by the flash.
09-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks all for the tips (all good ones) - I'll try the combination manual focus preset to hyperfocal distance, aperture stopped down, release priority
09-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks all for the tips (all good ones) - I'll try the combination manual focus preset to hyperfocal distance, aperture stopped down, release priority
Use Manual mode. When lighting with the flash only, shutter speed isnīt important. Keep it as low as possible to avoid motion or shake blur. 1/60 for example. But donīt be afraid to take it all the way up to 1/180 (max sync speed for flash) if needed
09-23-2013, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Simple, use a torch (flashlight), I have a small, but powerful, Cree LED torch, far more range than is required for the built in flash, works every time.

I use it for 'painting with light' also works for auto focus - sample.

[
]

Chris
02-19-2014, 12:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Or if a flashlight would cause a problem, you can use a laser pointer, at least to help focus. I picked up a cheap (<$20 on ebay) green laser pointer (easier to see and brighter at lower power) with front lens attachments that split the beam into assorted shapes. I use the grid shape mostly, but if you're trying not to disturb the subject much, there was one that just spreads the beam out to maybe 2-3 inches wide by the time it's 10-15 feet out. That can give you a good basis for autofocus (especially with the grid shape)… focus with that, then set it to manual and turn the laser off.

If you're trying wildlife photography, you might want to look at using a laser or sound trigger:
https://www.facebook.com/HSFTRIGGERS
https://triggertrap.com

You can set up a laser trigger near a salt lick to catch deer, or a bird feeder or nesting site to catch birds. The HSF-triggers guy puts his micro triggers on sale dirt cheap sometimes (I got a set on Black Friday for 90% off and my wife bought me a second set plus the very handy delay box for 70% off), and since the trigger cable is basically an audio mono cable, you can add additional length to it very inexpensively, and with the right adapter you can use it to fire off the flash instead of the camera (not that big a deal for a deer, but much easier to freeze a hummingbird or a water balloon popping).
02-20-2014, 12:10 AM   #13
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Can anyone advise what settings to use with the camera to take photos with the 18-55 DA lens where the subject (an animal or bird) is in almost complete darkness, and at an unknown distance within say a 3-10 metre range (i.e. there is not enough light coming through the viewfinder to see anything other than a vague shape)? I assume in this situation it is too dim for auto focus to work, or does the TTL preflash allow the lens to focus?
I have had the best luck using the on camera flash with the camera on manual. It took me some time and practice, but I eventually got pretty good at guessing the settings needed for each situation.

The user manual is little or no help.
It takes some getting used to, the user manuals can be quite cryptic. I have finally gotten used to the indirect and confusing nature of the Pentax user manuals.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
I use it for 'painting with light' also works for auto focus - sample.

[
]

Chris
That is such a cool picture!