Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2013, 07:42 AM   #1

K-5 vs Auto Chinon 50 mm, f:1.9

I just bought a Pentax K-5 alongside with an Auto Chinon 50 mm, f:1.9, Pentax K mount, without any adapters, but I was told, it would work on the K-5 body, only without autofocus. When I put it on the camera body, and turn it on, I can't receive any diaphragm information/value, the diaphragm digits flicker, and I cant shoot any pictures. LiveView is also blocked. What can I do, to make it work, what can I do, so that the camera body will read the diaphragm information? Did anyone experience this problem? How can I solve it, how can I fix it? Please, respond, if you can....

09-25-2013, 07:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html
09-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So, yes, there are a couple threads that will give you all the info and nice tutorials. I usually link to this one.
But basically you need to go into menu and all the way to the end and enable aperture ring. That should be a good first step.
Now, keep in mind that your lens is a couple decades old. It was made long before cameras and lenses communicated, before AF was even invented. That means your camera has no way of knowing the focal length or aperture. So you will have to input the focal length when you turn the camera on (input the same focal length as printed on the lens, or the closest wider one). The aperture will stay as ---, and will not be recorded in the exif info.
But you can still use the lens! The camera will still do its best to use it. You can use Av mode, and you get continuous metering, you can even use auto ISO, but the photos will always be taken with the aperture wide open (f1.9). To use other apertures, you need to use M mode, and the aperture ring on your lens. So you set the aperture on the lens. You can choose the shutter manually, or you can press the green button for the lens to stop down, and then meter and input the shutter it thinks would be good.
Another feature to look into is catch in focus, also known as focus trapping. It gives you limited AF abilities with manual lenses.
The other thing is, there are some lens hacks and camera mount hacks that makes them communicate with the camera a little more; but these are at your own risk and probably void your warranty.