Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #1

Bag for K-5

Obviously the old bag for the analogic camera is not good for the digital K-5.
I have several options in Amazon but I have a doubt. All the pictures show the camera installed in the bag with the lenses down. In other wors the top of the lenses contacts the bottom of the bag and the camera body is supported by the lenses.
Is it correct?
Thanks. Ciao.
Ezio

09-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are you talking about a specific bag? You should be able to move the dividers in almost any good bag to set it up how you like. I have a couple sizes of Tamrac bags which I like.
09-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter

The idea in a lot of these bags is that you can move the dividers around to support the camera by the body, so the front of the lens isn't mashed against the bottom of the bag. But I think you are right, many of the newer bags seem to be deeper, and designed to store the lens as you say.

Personally I am not a fan of storing my camera in a bag this way. My favorite bag, which happens to be an older, shallower Pentax bag from the film era, provides a simple "slot" which allows me to easily place the camera in the bag, on its left side. I find that I can more easily lift the camera out by its grip with one hand, than in a deeper holster-style bag. The holster-style bags seem to require two hands to retrieve/store, especially with large lenses, and/or thick padding.

So, why do you feel that your old analog camera bag is not good for the K-5?
09-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #4

Original Poster
Because my old bag is practically destroied. I need a new one. I am thinking to this one Flashstar - Borsa per fotocamera reflex, con apertura facilitata e schermo antipioggia, colore: Nero: Amazon.it: Elettronica
Please, take a look and let me know your comments.
I understand you place the camera touching the bag bottom with the body left lateral part and with the lenses. Do you place something under the lenses to have its longitudinal axis leveled? In this way the camera is stored rotated 90 as when we take vertical shape photos.
Sorry if I am boring, but my english is very poor.
Thanks

Last edited by Ezio49; 09-29-2013 at 03:28 PM.
09-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sitting On Top?

Hello Ezio49, Welcome to the Forum!
As mentioned, many bags for digital cameras are set up to insert the camera vertically, the lens pointing down. But it's been my experience that most of these bags are deep (tall) enough so the lens never touches the bottom.
I have a LowePro Adventura 170 (it's on the website you linked, click on Lowepro, page 3, I think) that comes with 2 vertical dividers (the photo only shows 1), so the bag can be divided into 3 sections, the middle (camera body/lens) one being larger. These dividers are taller or higher than the bag, and their top section is made to fold outward, like a flap. This flap covers the top of the two outer sections and the camera sits on top of each flap. So it is supported by the dividers and even my 18-55mm zoom never touches the bottom of the bag. Pretty much any small zoom or medium prime will be 'suspended' by the flaps supporting the grip and body. I can easily fit 2 small primes in one outer section (or, another longer zoom) and a flash in the other outer section. It has small side pockets and a large flap opening in front.
But bags are one item I never buy online without seeing them first. If you can get to a photography shop, take a look for yourself...and bring your camera!
Ron
09-30-2013, 04:48 AM   #6

Original Poster
Is it better that the bag inside material is simple plastic fabric or is made by that kind of wooly fabric? My doubt is that wooly fabric, even if it is more easy to move the inside dividers, could relase some wool that could inquinate the camera.
What kind of inside material do you have in your camera bag?
Thanks
09-30-2013, 05:11 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ezio49 Quote
All the pictures show the camera installed in the bag with the lenses down. In other wors the top of the lenses contacts the bottom of the bag and the camera body is supported by the lenses.
Yep, it's often the case, even though you can place the camera any way you want.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ezio49 Quote
Obviously the old bag for the analogic camera is not good for the digital K-5
It's not obvious at all, many older bags work just fine.
09-30-2013, 05:22 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wool or Plastic?

Hello Ezio49,
The material for the dividers in the Lowepro bag is a fuzzy cloth with a kind of semi-hard foam inside, to retain the shape. I've never had the 'fuzz' come off onto the camera, it is more like the material used on 'cloth' car seats. This includes using the bag in very cold winters, snow, rain, hail and heat.
The entire inside of the actual bag is a smooth plastic with Velcro strips at the attachment points
Many other bags (I own five different bags, all different sizes) have only plastic interiors with Velcro strips. I prefer the foam/cloth dividers, as they provide some shock absorption. I've also placed pieces of semi-hard foam inside other bags for the same purpose. This foam is available at home 'Arts + Crafts' stores.
Ron

09-30-2013, 05:46 AM   #9

Original Poster
Do you know Manfrotto Bella IV bag? What are your impressions?
09-30-2013, 06:01 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have 3 different Tamrac bags, a backpack, a camera+3 and accessories bag and a camera/lens + 1 bag. My main travel bag is the camera+3 (similar size to the Bella IV). Day trip etc. where I want one more lens or flash etc it's the smaller one.

It really depends on the use you have in mind.
09-30-2013, 06:54 AM   #11

Original Poster
Now the bag shall accomodate the K-5 and may be, come time a Canon Handycam which is 2,5 x 2 x 4,5 inch. So I need a little bag.
I am looking also to the Cullman Madrid 230.
As you may see, I have few ideas, but they are fully confused.
Thanks for help
09-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

The Cullman 230 is a nice-looking bag. Seems big enough for a camera and a lens or two.
09-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #13

Original Poster
And what abou the Manfrotto Bella IV ?
09-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

What I like about the Manfrotto over the Cullman - that latch keeping the flap closed, the zippered accessory pocket, and zippered lid. This is very similar to the Tamrac I have.
What I like about Cullman - styling. It's a nice-looking bag and not at first glance an obvious camera bag.

For security, I like the Manfrotto. If you're OK with the styling of both I think that's the biggest difference. Is there a shop where you can evaluate either?
09-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #15

Original Poster
unfortunately not. I planned to buy by internet

Last edited by Ezio49; 09-30-2013 at 10:19 AM.