Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 Battery Problem?

A little over a year ago, I picked up 2 after market batteries (which came with a charger) for the K5 - they are Wasbi batteries. Overall, I have been very happy with them until lately. Several weeks ago, I was up at the Grand Canyon shooting and ran out of juice in all three (the 2 Wasbi's and the OEM). It was funny in a way - I plugged the 2 Wasbi batteries into the battery charger and they immediately reported as fully charged. I have tested them in the camera taking images and they appeared to function fine - until last week.

I was back in Boston doing some evening shooting, and 1 went empty then I dropped in the next one, which reported fully charged. I was shooting brackets and in the course of 2 images went from a full battery to depleted and the camera stopped working. Dropped in the OEM and stopped shooting brackets. The OEM went for the rest of the evening. Back at the hotel, both the Wasbi batteries when put into the charger (both the Wasbi and the Pentax OEM chargers) and reported fully charged. Dropped them in to the camera and they worked fine. The OEM just kept cooking along. Based on all of this I am suspecting the batteries - one I can believe, however both of them at the same time? That is stretching things. Each of the 2 Wasbi batteries probably have been charged less than 10 times (actually more like 5) each.

I guess the moral of the story is - OEM?

So, a question - Camera body or the batteries? I am thinking that it has to be the batteries and just getting another OEM for a spare and see what happens? I guess I could drop the body off at CRIS and see what they say....

09-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Did the camera say 'battery depleted' Mine did when I had an issue
It could be camera issue as it should not happen to all three batteries.
I had it happen to me and I used all 5 batteries with the same response.
I left the camera without batteries in it over night and it came good the next morning.
I had two perfectly operating K5s so at the time I figured it was easier to get a cheap K01.
I now take out three camera bodies or left the suspect one at home.
09-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote

I guess the moral of the story is - OEM?
Pentax does not make batteries - those are "third party", as well. Wasabi has a good reputation.
09-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Recall a bit more about my problem
1. Camera said battery was full (which it was)
2. Pressed shutter to take photo
3. Nothing happened
4. Camera said battery depleted.
5. Did the same for all my batteries

09-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Recall a bit more about my problem
1. Camera said battery was full (which it was)
2. Pressed shutter to take photo
3. Nothing happened
4. Camera said battery depleted.
5. Did the same for all my batteries
Hmmm, throw in a mirror-flop and that is just about what mine did, before it died :-(
Short story...when I turned it off, then on, it was fine. Pressed button - battery depleted. Repeated, with 2 batteries. Just tried it again (2 weeks later), same thing.
09-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In case folks haven't seen this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/237145-di...ery-clone.html

I would recommend it for a read, just to de-mystify the K-5 battery.

Many of these K-5 battery issues seem to me problems with the charging cycle of these lithiums. It would be nice to be able to put these lithium cells on a nice intelligent charger like my Maha Powerex, which can work wonders in reviving dodgy or depleted AA Eneloops and other NiMh's by putting those batteries through cycles of depletion, testing, measured charging per cell etc. The stock K-5 battery charger is probably just a pretty dumb brute force charger unable to cope with the different age and condition of the lithium cells it has to work with. Hence problems sometimes.
09-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Did the camera say 'battery depleted' Mine did when I had an issue
It could be camera issue as it should not happen to all three batteries.
I had it happen to me and I used all 5 batteries with the same response.
I left the camera without batteries in it over night and it came good the next morning.
I had two perfectly operating K5s so at the time I figured it was easier to get a cheap K01.
I now take out three camera bodies or left the suspect one at home.
Evening Bob,

Up at the Grand Canyon, I received the 'battery depleted' message once per battery. This time in Boston, I was doing bracketing and about the 3 frame (of 5), the shutter opened, and the body just hung. After a couple of minutes, I turned it off, pulled the battery out, and tried again - same thing. The battery indicator went from full (when I started) the the 1/4-1/3 full indication. I swapped batteries - which then showed a full battery, and then started the bracketing sequence once again - and the same thing happened. Went to battery #3 which was the original battery, and just stopped doing bracketing, so as to get as many shots in as possible.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Pentax does not make batteries - those are "third party", as well. Wasabi has a good reputation.
Evening Special,

Yea, I know - but the description was the best way to differentiate. I know that Wasabi has a good reputation - so in a way, that is why I am posting, thinking that at least part of the problem may be with the body.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Hmmm, throw in a mirror-flop and that is just about what mine did, before it died :-(
Short story...when I turned it off, then on, it was fine. Pressed button - battery depleted. Repeated, with 2 batteries. Just tried it again (2 weeks later), same thing.
that sounds strangely familiar...

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
In case folks haven't seen this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/237145-di...ery-clone.html

I would recommend it for a read, just to de-mystify the K-5 battery.

Many of these K-5 battery issues seem to me problems with the charging cycle of these lithiums. It would be nice to be able to put these lithium cells on a nice intelligent charger like my Maha Powerex, which can work wonders in reviving dodgy or depleted AA Eneloops and other NiMh's by putting those batteries through cycles of depletion, testing, measured charging per cell etc. The stock K-5 battery charger is probably just a pretty dumb brute force charger unable to cope with the different age and condition of the lithium cells it has to work with. Hence problems sometimes.
Evening Rawr,

I remember reading the thread when you posted it and again as I was swapping batteries in Boston last week.

I am thinking I may just drop the body off at CRIS as see what they can find...

09-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Evening Bob,
My solution is to keep using the K5 as it has only occurred after heavy use, I purchased an end of run cheap K01 and save my money for the new K3 rather than getting the K5 repaired or seen to.

10-10-2013, 12:57 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I dropped off the camera at the Vets on Monday - CRIS for warranty repair. 22 months old and the Pentax warranty for $20 has to be the best deal around.

I had to call to get my repair and customer number so I could check the on line status. Their web system was being worked on so the customer service representative went off and checked, then returned to tel me that the camera was just coming off the "operating table" currently, having had the mirror motor replaced - which they fortunately had in stock. That seemed to be the extent of the repairs - so far. Then it goes into the queue for the QA check to make sure that was the only repair necessary and to check out the unit. She was thinking that it would be ready for pickup early next week.