Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When to use the green button?

I'm trying to figure out what the purpose of the green button is on my K-5II.

When would it be useful to use it?

10-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #2

If it's the same as the K5, then when pressed it will re-set the exposure.

Handy if the setting are miles away from a correct exposure; the re-set settings may not be the desired settings which allows the user to adjust to suit.
10-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Neville Quote
I'm trying to figure out what the purpose of the green button is on my K-5II.

When would it be useful to use it?
QuoteOriginally posted by WightWalker Quote
If it's the same as the K5, then when pressed it will re-set the exposure.

Handy if the setting are miles away from a correct exposure; the re-set settings may not be the desired settings which allows the user to adjust to suit.
That's basically it. I generally only need to use it with manual lenses, which is when it really comes in handy as it allows the camera to shop-down meter.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #4

In M mode you can press green button to automatic set exposure and shoot semi-auto. In Hyper P mode when you press green button you`ll reset mode to P.

10-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's also a "center" or "zero" button in all sorts of screens such as white balance GMYB adjustment, jpeg settings, flash exposure compensation, ordinary exposure compensation. And it turns on auto ISO.

Regards,
--Anders.
10-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 very useful in hyper P mode - takes you back to regular P mode.
I use P mode most of the time now because it effectively gives you Av and Tv while having the P for quick shots.
10-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
+1 very useful in hyper P mode - takes you back to regular P mode.
I use P mode most of the time now because it effectively gives you Av and Tv while having the P for quick shots.
+1 Here - really handy that you can switch between modes that way.

But first and above all, I appreciate the green button for use with all my vintage lenses. Here, it has more or less the same basic functionality as the metering needle in my K1000 film camera.

10-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I've set my K-7 green button as back button focusing and disabled the AF on ½ shutter-press. I assume this is possible with the K-5II as well.
10-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really appreciate this question as it prompted me to remember something I had forgotten. Having had the K-7 in for clean and adjust. all the settings came back as factory default. Of course I had forgotten to reset this function. Anyawy I prefer to set aperture and adjust other setting around that and with my manual lenses setting the Green button to Tv Shift in M Mode (C>4>28>2 in the K-7) gives me proper shutter speed for any given aperture and ISO. But as other readers have pointed out it has many uses depending on your preferred style.
10-03-2013, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Interesting answers in this post. I can honestly say that I have never used the green button. I guess it is the old-time film shooter in me but I always set my own settings. The green button is just something to avoid touching accidentally.