Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Deeper eyecup for the K-5 IIs?

I picked up a K-5 IIs and although I love it I really which it has a deeper (longer) eyecup so I can bring my eye up to touch the edge of the eyecup without rubbing my nose on the LCD screen.

I use the Pentax magnifying eyepiece on my aging K-7, but I don't really want the magnification ... just an eyecup.

Do any of the K-5/K-5 II/K-5 IIs owners here have a recommendation for a good, deep eyecup that fits this camera?

10-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Iīve searched for one but couldnīt find nothing worth yet
10-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Pentax 'Lenses and Accessories' leaflet lists a round Eyecup MII that seems a bit bigger, but I can't find it anywhere. You could perhaps take a standard eyecup, remove the rubber part, and glue an eyecup from another brand to it.
10-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recently adapted a Hoodman HoodEye to fit the K-5. I wear eyeglasses when shooting (left-eye dominant) and find the larger cup helps reduce glare and distracting light.

H-EYEC18 for most Canon SLR Models-Hoodman Corporation

You can find online several detailed descriptions of the modification. Basically, a small amount of material needs to be removed from each side of the sliding channel to widen it for the K-5 viewfinder.

- Craig

10-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
JJC makes a rubber eyecup for less than $15...
10-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I recently adapted a Hoodman HoodEye to fit the K-5. I wear eyeglasses when shooting (left-eye dominant) and find the larger cup helps reduce glare and distracting light.

H-EYEC18 for most Canon SLR Models-Hoodman Corporation

You can find online several detailed descriptions of the modification. Basically, a small amount of material needs to be removed from each side of the sliding channel to widen it for the K-5 viewfinder.

- Craig
Does the bottom "clip" on the Hoodeye (the plastic piece that helps prevent it from sliding up) fit on the K-5 or does that have to be removed as well?

I'm also considering this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Vello-ESP-DSLR-Eyeshade-Select-Cameras/dp/B00ASWNFRA/r...I16T68OXTDVP6B
10-02-2013, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
Does the bottom "clip" on the Hoodeye (the plastic piece that helps prevent it from sliding up) fit on the K-5 or does that have to be removed as well?
Yes, the bottom locking tab needs to be shaved to about half of its vertical dimension to allow the tab to snap in and seat itself fully. I trimmed the side 'channels' with a sharp utility knife and the tab with a fine-pitched rectangular file.

The eyecup at Amazon seems to be similar to the Hoodman.

I use the larger eyecup regularly. The only drawback is that it partially obscures the rear LCD screen, but I can peer up under it to see menu selections and get a satisfactory view of displayed images.

- Craig