Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Tamron 400 f 4.0 SP

Does anyone have any experience using this lens on a Pentax Digital Body? I now use it on a PZ1P but did not know if I purchased a K5 if it would work with that body and what could cause problems. Thanks.

10-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it comes with a Pentax mouint, it will work on any Pentax camera including the K5.

See here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html
10-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If its the adaptall, as described here: Tamron SP Adaptall-2 400mm F/4 LD-IF Model 65B it will work w/ a Pentax K or KA adapter. The latter will be another $50~$100. BTW it appears to be a superb lens. Generally the adaptall SP lenses are very fine. Some Pentax KA adapters don't indicate greater than f4--so be sure to check it out.
10-07-2013, 05:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks so much the reply and my lens does use an adaptol so I would need to check how it would work on the K5. Do you know if I would need to use stop down meter reading on the K5?

10-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bscott Quote
Thanks so much the reply and my lens does use an adaptol so I would need to check how it would work on the K5. Do you know if I would need to use stop down meter reading on the K5?
Is the adapter you are using now a K or KA version? Does the PZ-1 you are using it with now set the aperture or do you have to set the aperture manually?

If the adapter has the 'A' setting you will not have to use stop down metering. KA adapters are pricey, but may be worth it for convenience.
10-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As already stated the KA will act like an A lens. The K adapter will act like a regular K lens (Pre A). If you get a KA adapter and it only shows f4 wide open--it will not be of any (noticable) impact on your lens but will if you get a faster lens. But the effect is linear (at least on the one KA adapter that I have w/ this problem) when set on A--e.g., if f/2 lens then indicated f/4 is f/2 and indicated f/5.6 is f/2.8.
10-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have and use this lens, along with other adaptall lenses -- they work fine. Please note that the DSLRs have "crippled" mounts -- which means any manual lens without 'A' contacts is a little more troublesome to use than they used to be on film cameras -- if you are new to Pentax DSLRs and have old lenses, read up on that. PKA mounts work fully as always, so those are the preferred option for your Adaptalls. (But the Adaptall PKA mount never reads a minimum aperture SLOWER than f/4, which wouldn't apply to the 400/4, but causes a little weirdness with the SP 300/5.6 or the SP 200-500/5.6, for instance).

Anyway, bottom-line is that YES, the SP 400/4 (preferably with a PKA mount) and the K-5 (or other Pentax DLSR) is a winning combination. You may notice more purple fringing on digital than you do on film, and the Adaptalls can be prone to that, but the 400/4 is very nice and I generally don't see aberrations if I stop down a bit. But they do show up on high-contrast subjects at wider apertures (like bird against sky) -- usually correctable in post-processing.

10-09-2013, 06:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks again to everyone. It looks as if I can use the lens, but now I'm not sure which Pentax body to buy with all the new announcements and if I should wait for the FF body. It's difficult with all these great choices to make.
10-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bscott Quote
Thanks again to everyone. It looks as if I can use the lens, but now I'm not sure which Pentax body to buy with all the new announcements and if I should wait for the FF body. It's difficult with all these great choices to make.
You would be waiting at least a year for a FF body...
10-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I've used this with the K5. The lens is manual focus as you know, and you need an adapter to use it with Pentax. There are three types of adapters.

The PKA has the mechanism that makes it equivalent to an A lens. What that means is you set the aperture in your camera body. When you compose, you see through the viewfinder a wide open aperture, lots of light for focus. When you press the shutter, the mechanism closes the aperture to the setting, and takes the shot. These adapters are pricey and quite flimsy.

The PK or K has a similar mechanism for stopping down when you shoot, but doesn't automatically meter. You compose the shot wide open, set your aperture on the lens. Then hit the green button on the camera body to meter. Then take the shot. These work ok, but the extra step gets in the way if you are tracking wildlife or something similar.

The third type is a simple solid mount with no mechanisms. You can find them on ebay for quite reasonable. The lens aperture changes according to how the ring is set. When you shoot, you see the darkened image in the viewfinder because the aperture is partially closed. You may need to open the aperture manually to compose and focus, then turn the ring to your desired setting to shoot. This is how I use my lens; I've gone through too many PKA adapters. It works fine. The lens does well at F8-F11 in bright light and you can see well enough to focus in most instances. In low light it is good wide open.

It is a great lens. You might want to look at one of the camera models that have focus peaking, it will help with the manual focus. The K-30, K-50 have that feature, as well as the new K-3.