Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Would you like Pentax to upgrade to the K-5 III?
Yes, a new K-5 III would be great! 2430.77%
No, keep the K-5 II in production. 3038.46%
No, ditch the K-5 II, there is no room for an extra body in the camera line-up. 2430.77%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2013, 03:57 AM   #31
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well since we now know that working with hi-iso the K-3 wont beat the K-5, the question is: Would you now see a market for an updated K-5 iii with the 16mp sensor and the electronics from the K-3?

Maybe even switching to 12-bit RAW, just to make the machine faster.

K-3 RAW files are starting from 29 MB (base iso) up to 36 MB at iso 6400. The K-5 ii makes RAW files around 22-24 MB at high iso, while the K-01 stops at around 15-16 MB.

So a K-5 iii with 16 megapixel and 12-bit RAW could be like twice as fast in digesting images then the K-3 can.
I think there's certainly room for a low-noise camera, but it would need to have a larger sensor to outperform the K-3

As long as Pentax adds 14-bit raw to the K-50 and whatever succeeds it, they should be all set in the APS-C department.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-27-2013, 06:21 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I voted for a new K-5 III and this is why: The K-5 II and 's' were only small updates to the K-5 to primarily address some faults. Therefore, even the current K-5 versions are based on what's essentially three or four year old technology. It's manifested in the lack of focus peaking, sluggish interface, poorer flash reliability, etc. There's no reason why that can't be updated with modern sub-systems to make the K-5 "up to date" once again. Some of the K-3 features are unneeded overkill to many if not most enthusiasts: two card slots, headphone jack, 24 MP. Not that those aren't useful but it's generally the pro or near-pro shooter that values those things (IMHO).
11-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think there's certainly room for a low-noise camera, but it would need to have a larger sensor to outperform the K-3

We all know that at this point I would scream APS-H!!!!!!!!
11-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #34
Pentaxian

I clicked "ditch the K5ii" but as I wrote this decided "keep the K5ii in production" would be better.

I want to see Ricoh sell good cameras at good prices, while remaining profitable enough to continue doing so. The K-3 price will probably start dropping early 2014, squeezing out any price advantage of a K-5iii. Maybe Ricoh can Ricoh release one new flagship per year, then shift last year's cameras down one tier in cost but continue selling them. Consumer psychology might not allow room for "old" cameras even if they are better than newer entry-level models, though.

It's inadvisable to offer too many camera models. It confuses customers. Last time I looked at Nikon's web site they had 9 different APS-C models listed as current. This morning I saw a paper ad where the Nikon 3100 and 3200 were the same exact price. Who will buy the 3100??? That helps explain why Nikon has excess inventory.

11-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #35
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I voted for a new K-5 III and this is why: The K-5 II and 's' were only small updates to the K-5 to primarily address some faults. Therefore, even the current K-5 versions are based on what's essentially three or four year old technology. It's manifested in the lack of focus peaking, sluggish interface, poorer flash reliability, etc. There's no reason why that can't be updated with modern sub-systems to make the K-5 "up to date" once again. Some of the K-3 features are unneeded overkill to many if not most enthusiasts: two card slots, headphone jack, 24 MP. Not that those aren't useful but it's generally the pro or near-pro shooter that values those things (IMHO).
Two card slots are not totally make or break, but nice to have. Focus peaking can be implemented and Sony has proven it can be done with the sensor, but the hardware is another story. Same for 30fps.

I have no need for 24MP, unless it comes with the same or better low-light performance. So far, the K-3 has not shown this (extra noise and banding). Larger files are not needed, either. The K-5II's AF system might be improved for low light and more accurate. I get on fine with the K-5, so -3eV would be fantastic.

I want mainly no AA.

Would love to convert my K-5 to a neutral glass, but, as I saw, it's not an easy, nor cheap task and doesn't work properly anyhow.