Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

How's the Electronic Level in the K-5II

Sorry if this has been covered, but I've been out of the loop for over a year.

How have people found the electronic level in the K-5 II? It was very unreliable on the original K-5 if you were one of the unlucky ones (and I was), did they improve it any, with the Mark 2?

10-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
Sorry if this has been covered, but I've been out of the loop for over a year.

How have people found the electronic level in the K-5 II? It was very unreliable on the original K-5 if you were one of the unlucky ones (and I was), did they improve it any, with the Mark 2?
I believe the issue was addressed via firmware on the original K-5. Haven't heard of any complaints with the K-5 II's level, so I'm guessing they're all properly calibrated now.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I owned a K-5 and upgraded to a K-5II.

The electronic level in my K-5 was off by several degrees - enough to make it impractical in use. Firmware upgrades (to FW 1.14) did not fix the problem.

The level in my K-5II is spot on, accurate to less than 0.5 degree in roll and pitch, which is good enough to make it very useful. I now use the level routinely, especially for landscapes.

I had forgotten about the problem with the level in the K-5. When I started using the K-5II, I was pleasantly reminded of the utility of that function.

- Craig
10-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I owned a K-5 and upgraded to a K-5II.

The electronic level in my K-5 was off by several degrees - enough to make it impractical in use. Firmware upgrades (to FW 1.14) did not fix the problem.

The level in my K-5II is spot on, accurate to less than 0.5 degree in roll and pitch, which is good enough to make it very useful. I now use the level routinely, especially for landscapes.

- Craig
Ditto. With the K5, even upgraded, I have to level the tripod or visually level hand-held and adjust later in PP. The KIIs is spot-on.

10-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
Forum Member

My K5 level was also off by quite a bit to the point of being unusable. However the K5iis that I have now is calibrated properly!