Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What settings do people use for in-camera black and white?

Just curious.

Thanks,
Cameron

10-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It could be useful for when you shoot the image to get a sense of what B&W processing would produce.
10-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Probably not a contribution but I have no use for it :x For me, Silver FX > Photoshop> Lightroom > in cam B&W (">" meaning "better than")

I do find that if you apply the sepia / cyanotone filter the results are acceptable. Maybe for amusement park photo kiosk operator this can be useful?
10-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
With in-camera BW I often use filter effect Contrast +1 and Sharpness +1, in the same way as for the default 'Bright' settings (color). The B&W file is saved in the sRGB color space, but R, G and B have the same values. So, in post-processing you can still change that and also access the RGB channels with the Channel Mixer.

10-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I recently started enjoying the black and white setting, with 1:1 aspect. I changed filter effect to be more yellow, added contrast and fine sharpness. And moved the High/low key adjustment more to the positive side. I kept the toning neutral. But its a thing of preference, I guess.
If you shoot raw, you have a lot more control over these things and can experiment without losing any data.
10-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
It would be cool to to be able to just change the lcd view to b&w but shoot in raw. There's a Tiffen B&W viewing filter you can get from B&H that might help you learn to see in B&W but I haven't tried it. Might be worth the 40 bucks though.
10-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Because the in-camera BW file is in the sRGB color space a toning filter effect can be undone afterwards in PP by converting the image to BW as if it was a color image (via Channel Mixer).

10-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shoot RAW but set Picture control to BW. Instant BW preview with RAW data if color is needed.
10-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Shoot RAW but set Picture control to BW. Instant BW preview with RAW data if color is needed.
Nice to know that the K-5 can do this. K-x couldn't.

It is possible to shoot video with B&W though
10-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have Contrast +2, High/Low key at about -3 or 4 and the fine sharpness up to about 1 or 2 with a red or blue filter depending on what I'm going for. Cropping to 5:4 or 1:1 is also nice but I don't think you can do that in camera. I've tried using the toning but I've never found a situation where I don't think it looks god awful.

I love shooting B&W JPEGs, you lose so much control, but that constraint makes it so much fun.

QuoteOriginally posted by halfspin Quote
It would be cool to to be able to just change the lcd view to b&w but shoot in raw.
You can do that on the K-5 and the K-x pretty easily.
10-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by halfspin Quote
It would be cool to to be able to just change the lcd view to b&w but shoot in raw.
You can do that. Set it to shoot raw, but set the image setting (bright, vibrant, etc.) to black and white. Now the preview jpeg of the raw file will be black and white, and the live view will also be black and white. The raw file will still contain all the colour data, though.
10-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I use contrast +3 or +4 for normal-contrast scenes. High contrast cases such as backlit scenes I shoot with contrast around 0.
Low contrast scenes I sometimes shoot with contrast 0 and apply the high-contrast filter on strength 1.

If my blacks aren't dark enough, I switch on the extended contrast controls and set shadow contrast to -4.

You can also use high ISO to get a grainy look. Or you can use the retro filter effect to get toning, softening and vignetting for that old times look.

There's lots of spontaneous and lighthearted fun to be had with the in-camera stuff. But if it counts (if you're ambitious, want to make money, art or impress people), then do everything in post.

Regards,
--Anders.
10-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Where do I find that?

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
and yes I do know it is better to do in post. I was recently shooting musicians under terrible lighting conditions and I thought the only way to shoot here would be to do black and white in camera, so I could adjust on the fly.

So 'Picture Control' is where in the menu? I don't see it anywhere...a lot of processing stuff is blanked out when you shoot in RAW.

Cheers,
Cameron
10-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's what I was looking for, thanks....

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
You can do that. Set it to shoot raw, but set the image setting (bright, vibrant, etc.) to black and white. Now the preview jpeg of the raw file will be black and white, and the live view will also be black and white. The raw file will still contain all the colour data, though.
what a ****ing FANTASTIC camera this is...

Cheers,
Cameron