Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #1

Nikon to Pentax Mount

Hi All

I have seen other threads regarding this. I am very new to the DSLR world and this is my first camera. I have a PROMASTER AF 17-50MM XR F2.8 EDO lens and wanted to mount it onto my Pentax K5

What would be the disadvantages to mounting it to my K5 with an adapter?

Is it worth it?

Should I sell the lens and buy a Pentax lens ?

Thanks for the help?

10-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Nikon F to Pentax K adapter acts like a short teleconverter. You lose all lens automation and IQ is reduced when the aperture is open. It's really only useful for telephoto lenses and macro lenses (with the corrective optic removed).

You can get a Tamron 17-50 in Pentax mount for around $300 used.
10-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, it might make more sense to sell that lens and buy one made for K mount.
Adapters are either glassless or they have a corrective optic (some adapters need this because of different registry distances of the mounts). Glassless are better, because they dont interfere with the optical quality.
Adapters also often dont transmit digital information (about aperture, focal length,..) and dont allow AF. Some might, but those are either lens-specific or pretty expensive.

So adapters are a bad idea. Exceptions might be m42, m39, adaptall and T mount lenses, when you are using a Pentax DSLR. These might be adapted and are usually full manual to begin with.
The Tamron 17-50 that was mentioned is pretty popular on these forums. As is the Pentax DA 16-45mm. You can go even cheaper by getting a used DA 35mm, DA 40mm XS, or DA 50mm f1.8, and these lenses have superb IQ and full automation (but no zoom).