Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2013, 04:15 AM   #1

Suggestions please.

Having spent time messing around with this shot. I have shown it to 8 people here at home and likes to dislikes are 50/50. What do you think ?

Thanks, Richard.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-19-2013, 05:03 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it would be better if you brought the shadows up a bit. It looks underexposed to me but bringing up the whole photo might start clipping highlights. Composition is OK. Subject is at a third point and the boats are sailing into the shot. An interest point on shore on the other side of the frame would help. You needed a lighthouse
10-19-2013, 05:24 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
I think it would be better if you brought the shadows up a bit. It looks underexposed to me but bringing up the whole photo might start clipping highlights. Composition is OK. Subject is at a third point and the boats are sailing into the shot. An interest point on shore on the other side of the frame would help. You needed a lighthouse
Thanks for the input,
I agree about the shadows - something for me to work on. Re. a lighthouse, I would have to import one, but a bit further up the coast is a half submerged church. That would have been ideal.

Richard.
10-19-2013, 06:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My View

Hello Richard,
What I like; The colors of the boats, backlighting, the background colors.
What I think could be improved; First, I agree that overall, it's too dark. This can be remedied in PP. But overall, the composition is too busy for me. My eye keeps wandering from the main subject, to the smaller boats, people, building (church?) directly behind the two main subjects, background trees, etc.
Imagine a similar shot, with some separation between the two main boats, as if they were racing. Now, shoot it at f/5.6 or f/4.5, to diminish the detail of the trees, while retaining the color. That 'extra' f/stop could be used to lower the ISO to 100, more saturation and color. Same shutter speed, smaller boats more out-of-focus. Plain background, no buildings or people.
Sometimes it's not about what's included, but what's excluded. Keep it simple.
JMO,
Ron

10-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did the color of the sails throw off the white balance? The sky just doesn't look right to me.
10-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks guys, there is so much for me to improve. I will find the time to have another go, but it will be in a day or two. You would not believe how much I have lost my way with this particular image,

Richad.
10-20-2013, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Spencer Quote
Thanks guys, there is so much for me to improve. I will find the time to have another go, but it will be in a day or two. You would not believe how much I have lost my way with this particular image,

Richad.
Ok, I`ve had another go. Different crop, got rid of two boats in the distance and brought up the shadows a bit.

Richard.

Attached Images

10-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

White balance looks much better - the sky is actually blue.

I don't know what tools you have available to you. I might use a Polarizing filter or Graduated ND filter on a new layer to see if I could darken the sky.
10-21-2013, 06:45 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like this. good changes
10-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Much Better!

Hi Richard,
This version is much better, you've brightened the colors and eliminated visual distractions well.
From the slight 'haze' over the cloned/removed smaller boats, I think you can see how de-focusing the tree detail pops the subject out. Our eyes automatically go to areas of sharp focus, it's natural. A tiny bit of blur keeps this from happening, moving the subject 'forward'. It's hard to explain, but your 2nd version illustrates it fully.
Keep up the good work!
Ron
10-21-2013, 07:46 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hi Richard,
This version is much better, you've brightened the colors and eliminated visual distractions well.
From the slight 'haze' over the cloned/removed smaller boats, I think you can see how de-focusing the tree detail pops the subject out. Our eyes automatically go to areas of sharp focus, it's natural. A tiny bit of blur keeps this from happening, moving the subject 'forward'. It's hard to explain, but your 2nd version illustrates it fully.
Keep up the good work!
Ron
abmj - thank you, I may look into using a extra layer to sort out the sky.

jrpower1 - many hanks.

rbefly - thank you for your detailed analysis. This type of thread is very good for me.

Richard.