Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-25-2013, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #1

How rare are people like me?

For the first time today I tried another camera brand. I purchased a K100d in 2007. A few bodies later and many lenses, I now own two K5's. To make a long story short, I just finished my second year as a hired photographer for the Chicago Marathon. How cool is that...and with Pentax!!! Photography is still a hobby for me but has grown leaps and bounds in the last few years. I have no plan to quit my day job which I've been doing for 25 years. I'm self taught and started with film back in the 80's. My son is in college majoring in film and digital media. After playing with his new Canon 60d, I realized this is the first camera I've tried outside of my Pentax arsenal. I originally choose Pentax for the value and never looked back. I overcome any shortcomings by trying different things to get the shot. I think I've learned more about photography using the Pentax brand. One of my fellow photographers at the marathon was shooting with a Nikon D3s and 800e. I was so tempted to ask her to try it out. Whether I'm shooting high school football or portraits, the K5 is a perfectly capable camera. I love photography!!!
How rare am I?

10-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LOL, I don't think you are that rare at all.
10-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Not rare. Just well done
10-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Petey44 Quote
I'm self taught and started with film back in the 80's.
For a short timer, you seem to be making pretty good progress. ;-)

Tim

10-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Enjoy the great photographs and success, and you can always upgrade to the K-3! Rare??? Not so much here, lots of company...
10-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As I tell my youngest son,"you are the one and only you!" Now the part about testing out other equipment, that's just cool. Just because we like Pentax doesn't mean we can't check other stuff! As for your photo taking oh yeah you're top tier!! I checked out your web page by the way, and you're good! I like that your son's into it also. I got a daughter that I turned onto Pentax, now I can funnel my LBA through her!
Joel
10-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Inspiring story! Congrats.

10-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You are not rare. Like my son says, "rare is the new common now".

I am a bit like you. Bought my first camera in 1985, a Pentax Super Program, when I was starting my university in NYC. I still use Pentax basic model.
10-25-2013, 11:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yes you are rare. Not many people like you have our class. Most people look at my gear and say mine's bigger than yours. Occasionally I have to ask another photographer to take a photo with my gear so I can be in it. Typical comment then is, that's a nice setup. I actually like the strange looks. But I do enjoy finding a fellow pentax shooter.
10-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No, you are not that rare. In fact, you are pretty much me.
I also am self taught, and started with K-mount film cameras in the 80's. I bought a K10D in 2007 and now have two K-5's.
I also get regular commercial work (live music) where mine are the sole Pentaxes in the pit. I too have had to learn different ways of getting the output to match (or even occasionally out-do) the Canikons.
I also will not be giving up my day job; I enjoy it too much and it pays way too well.
10-26-2013, 05:02 AM   #11

Thanks for sharing your story with us.
No, I don't think you are rare, unless you would say that all of us here are rare.
I too would not give my day job for photography, but I also won't live without photography or my Pentax.
10-26-2013, 05:52 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Not rare on this forum, rare everywhere else....but there are over 40,000 people on the forum.
10-26-2013, 06:50 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks all for your kind words. It's funny how if you get so lucky to see another photographer using Pentax gear, there's a good chance they know something about photography. They probably made a informed decision before purchasing their gear. I'm so looking forward to see what others think of the new K3. Even though I don't have endless pickings off the money tree, I'll need to really look at how much it can improve my overall photography. The K5 has been an amazing tool for me. Technology changes but if you really know what you're doing you don't always need it. I tell my son he needs to earn his gear. He couldn't afford to buy any Canon auto lenses so he's using some of mine with an adapter. Since he's mostly using it for film, he doesn't need automatic control anyway. Last night I had him shooting with a old 135mm F2.8. He keeps complaining how he can't focus. He has no idea what a split screen is ..LOL! Time for some exercise in focusing!! He'll get it soon enough.
Happy shooting!!
Peter
10-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I originally choose Pentax for the value and never looked back.
That's me: K100D in 2007; now, two K-5's, a K-5IIs and a lot of lenses. I'm open to paid gigs (no weddings!) and do pro-style work for my community non-profits but basically I'm in it for fun. I know there are other systems out there but I'm not a tech-head and have my hands full realizing the potential of the Pentax line.
10-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I originally choose Pentax for the value and never looked back.
How rare am I?
Certainly around here likely not that rare at all! Thanks for sharing a great story. I was given my first Pentax - an ME film camera in 1980 but stayed with Pentax for the value. It is a tremendous value. I enjoy the brand a lot and I'm up to just one K-5. I am a little envious of you folks that have been able to grow your hobby into some paid gigs and, as the poster above said, "pro-style work". I would like to do that, even if not getting paid. How does one do that? I've taken a few photos for a function at church once (not for a fee). Some said they liked the photos, and they were acceptable, but I know that I could improve on the effort - the lighting aspects needed to be managed better. At any rate, congratulations on the great progress and the neat photo gigs. Would you mind sharing some photos or links from the marathon shoot? Thanks. Glenn