Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2013, 04:51 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5iis exposure fault

My k5iis is generally wonderful, but a couple of times now, it has used completely silly shutter speeds in program mode. Here's an example.

As you can see, it's utterly underexposed because the shutter speed was 1/3200s instead of about 1/320s. This happened for about 4 photos today, then it was ok for a few, then got stuck this way for about ten images before I actually checked the LCD. I had to pull the battery out to reset the camera. Has anyone else experienced this? It's firmware 1.05. The camera also seemed to be hunting a lot more than usual with focus on the DA55-300 today. The camera is set for centre focus; I seldom use multipoint focus.

I've just checked the EXIF more carefully and the camera seems to be forgetting which mode it's in. It was set for Program Mode with a bias toward shutter speed, which is correctly reported in an earlier image as "action program". However, at this point the camera has decided that it's in Shutter Priority with the speed set to 1/3200s. The dial was still set to P. I most definitely didn't set it to shutter priority! So the question becomes - has anyone else experienced the K-5iis suddenly changing exposure modes without the user changing the setting?

Last edited by RobG; 10-27-2013 at 04:58 AM. Reason: update
10-27-2013, 05:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm not sure about what's causing your problem, but if you're certain the dial was in the Program position but the EXIF says it was in Shutter Priority mode then you may have a fault in the electrical/mechanical connection of the mode dial. I had K20D years ago that had a messed up mode dial and whenever I put the camera in Aperture Priority mode my K20D thought it was in Manual Mode ... I had to move the dial "between settings" to get the camera into Aperture Priority mode. That was annoying. Luckily that was the only time I ever had a problem with a Pentax camera (knock on wood).

That might not be your problem, but it's the first thing that popped into my mind when you said the mode was set to Program but the EXIF says Shutter Priority.

I hope you're able to get it sorted quickly and without any additional problems.
10-27-2013, 06:37 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
I'm not sure about what's causing your problem, but if you're certain the dial was in the Program position but the EXIF says it was in Shutter Priority mode then you may have a fault in the electrical/mechanical connection of the mode dial.
That makes sense, although I don't understand why it dosn't happen more frequently if that's the case, and I swear it has only happened since BIOS version 1.05. That may only be coincidence however.
10-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
That makes sense, although I don't understand why it dosn't happen more frequently if that's the case, and I swear it has only happened since BIOS version 1.05. That may only be coincidence however.
Aren't we at 1.06 this month?

10-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
Aren't we at 1.06 this month?
If so, I wasn't aware of it. I'll check for a firmware update.
10-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've updated the camera to 1.06 and run a quick test to see that it's working. I'll need to do a lot more testing to see if the exposure bug is gone.
10-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I'll need to do a lot more testing to see if the exposure bug is gone.
If it isn't, drop CRK an email, report the issue, ask for suggestions.
I get the feeling the K-5II series have been pretty trouble free, so it will give them something to do down there.

10-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
If it isn't, drop CRK an email, report the issue, ask for suggestions.
I get the feeling the K-5II series have been pretty trouble free, so it will give them something to do down there.
I'm hoping that a firmware update gets the AF back to how good it seemed to be with 1.0 of the firmware.
10-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K5IIs is still running FW version 1.01 - I haven't noticed anything unusual, I'm using the "normal" program line mind you.
10-28-2013, 12:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I had a brand new k30 sent yo me that had a mode fail that also find strange things, got it replaced the next day.
10-28-2013, 03:10 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
I had a brand new k30 sent yo me that had a mode fail that also find strange things, got it replaced the next day.
Great service from the camera store! This is only a recent phenomenon for me. I really suspect that it's firmware related. I'll need to do more testing - some pics at sunset this evening were fine.
10-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Every once in awhile, my K5-IIs gives a funky off color photo. Sometimes a cyan tint to the photo. Sometimes the exposure is off. It has happened only a few times, but it is there. Here is a sample of what has happened.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
10-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Every once in awhile, my K5-IIs gives a funky off color photo.
probably because your have you camera set to auto white balance( I checked the EXIF in the images you posted). I have my K5IIs set to 5000K - that way, I don't get any surprises they way you do when you rely on automatic corrections.
10-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Every once in awhile, my K5-IIs gives a funky off color photo. Sometimes a cyan tint to the photo. Sometimes the exposure is off. It has happened only a few times, but it is there. Here is a sample of what has happened.
The first image looks under-exposed compared to the second - I wonder if the focus has any impact on that? I also note that you're using a manual lens. Logically, Pentax cameras should be able to compensate for colour behaviour in their own lenses, but having said that, you'd expect the behaviour with the same manual lens to be consistent. Which version of the firmware are you using?
10-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
probably because your have you camera set to auto white balance( I checked the EXIF in the images you posted). I have my K5IIs set to 5000K - that way, I don't get any surprises they way you do when you rely on automatic corrections.
Interesting that you have it set as low as 5000K. Isn't that a bit low for normal daylight?