Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
I finally have a K5, now what settings do you recommend?

I shoot in raw and enjoy post processing in adobe lightroom 5. Just curious if you guys have any tips about the D-range or anything else i might be missing. Currently I set the d-range to off for both shadows and highlights (seems like the pictures are punchier this way, im assuming lightroom can still bring up shadows or highlights in post ? Or should i leave them on ? or only use them when there is bright sunlight in my photos ?

img shot with fuji x-e1

11-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
Inactive Account

These settings you are talking about only affect JPEG's.

They have absolutely no impact on RAW files, so forget them
11-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #3

Original Poster
good to know! hey, is there a way to setup a quick button to do HDR photos ?
11-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by buttons Quote
good to know! hey, is there a way to setup a quick button to do HDR photos ?
Sorry, can't help you here, I haven't shot HDR on my IIs. Just not my thing

But someone on forum will tell you for sure!

11-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
Sorry, can't help you here, I haven't shot HDR on my IIs. Just not my thing

But someone on forum will tell you for sure!
k, for the time being i can go through the menus and change file type from RAW to JPG then turn HDR on. maybe it would be better to just stay in raw and find a program that will merge the exposure of a couple images.
11-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations!
You can change your Fx button to quickly get you into bracketing. Then use a program like Photomatix to make your HDR shots.
If you wonder if you should use shadow correction, snap a shot at or below 800 iso underexposed and then pull the shadows; you will be greatly suprised at what comes out!
11-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Rather than raw or jpeg, consider shooting in "raw+jpeg", I.e., save both simultaneously.

11-02-2013, 10:58 PM   #8

hi, quick question. How do I get out of bracketing after activating it via the Raw/Fx button?
11-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jwn.poh Quote
hi, quick question. How do I get out of bracketing after activating it via the Raw/Fx button?
Huh, I just tried it...Looks like you hit the fx button until it brings up your Drive Mode screen and navigate over to the mode you were in before.
I use my fx button for digital preview(histogram), and knew you could set the button for bracketing, but never used it myself. It appears that you may as well just hit up on the d-pad to enter the Drive Mode screen rather than use the fx button....
Sorry about the misdirection, I figured it was a toggle.