Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #16

Original Poster
Hey all,

Just to let you know, I have discussed today with the official Pentax representative from my country and in case you want to replace the LCD protective screen, you have to replace the whole LCD. I have no information of the costs however.

This is for future questions like mine .

Razvan

08-12-2014, 12:34 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought a K-5iis a little over a month ago. After reading about the scratch resistant glass, I opted not to protect it. It now has smudgy fine scratches mostly in the center of the screen. I am very careful with my cameras and can only figure the scratches either came from clothing or possibly belt buckle (not likely). I have owned Pentax cameras starting with the K-100. Those screens were plastic so I used protectors. Any advise on how to remove these fine smoky looking scratches on glass?
08-13-2014, 11:45 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Never thought of this! I've got buffing gear and red rouge in the shop. Not that I have scratches, but thanks for the tip just in case. I do wood turning and use the buffing wheels to put final polish on bowls and things. Never thought of using it on LCD screen.
Flitz non-abrasive polish can be used to polish minor scuffs, I use it on my ND grad filters.
08-13-2014, 06:20 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creizi Quote
Hello fellow pentaxians,

Three days ago I bought a Pentax K5-II of which I am very proud. Although being a very responsible person with my equipment, while having a closer look at the LCD in stronger light I have already noticed some micro scratches (some 5 mm long). To be honest, I am not really sure how they ended up there as I have been very careful not to touch the screen with the cord, zippers and so on.

Most probably these can't be fixed and I wouldn't attempt to repair them with any solution as I presume I would do more damage to it. The question is, if I will ever want to exchange the LCD screen surface sometime in the future, will it be possible since it is an air-gapless screen? Do you have any experience doing this?

Thank you in advance for your answers!

Razvan

Probably happened when you were wiping the smudge off it. The other day I was rejoicing at the condition of the back LCD on my 8 year old DSLR. It only had a few micro scratches nothing to be concerned about. I placed this camera in a box next to the couch in my living room since I don't hardly use it anymore. Inside the box was a few lenses and a box-cutter. Somehow the blade of the box-cutter caught the back of the LCD when I was taking the camera out of the box and left a pretty deep scratch from the top of the LCD to the bottom. Oh well "things" happen eventually...

Last edited by hjoseph7; 08-14-2014 at 06:23 AM.
08-13-2014, 06:46 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Here is what I do to remove minor scratches: a) mask the LCD around the edges with paper tape. b) take a brand new old style safety razor blade. Gently scrape the LCD all over and a little more at the scratch spot. Make sure the scratch depth is almost reached with the scraping. Do not worry that the LCD screen looks a bit foggy at this stage. c) take some Sylvo Polish - Reckitt & Coleman - on a clean cloth and rub away. This takes quite some time and effort. d) you will begin seeing the shine return to the LCD screen where the scraping had left some fogginess. Stop when you have a bright and shining screen again.
Now apply a screen guard. I cut mine from smart phone guards - costs $ 1 to 2. One is enough for both the top and rear LCD screens.
Regads. Nanhi.
camp: Thornhill, Ontario.
08-18-2014, 12:03 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
Here is what I do to remove minor scratches: a) mask the LCD around the edges with paper tape. b) take a brand new old style safety razor blade. Gently scrape the LCD all over and a little more at the scratch spot. Make sure the scratch depth is almost reached with the scraping. Do not worry that the LCD screen looks a bit foggy at this stage. c) take some Sylvo Polish - Reckitt & Coleman - on a clean cloth and rub away. This takes quite some time and effort. d) you will begin seeing the shine return to the LCD screen where the scraping had left some fogginess. Stop when you have a bright and shining screen again.
Now apply a screen guard. I cut mine from smart phone guards - costs $ 1 to 2. One is enough for both the top and rear LCD screens.
Regads. Nanhi.
camp: Thornhill, Ontario.
I'd rather accept micro/scratches than risk this - seems a tad too severe for me & should the edge of the razor blade dig in, you've got an ever bigger scratch!!
10-15-2014, 04:21 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by WightWalker Quote
I'd rather accept micro/scratches than risk this - seems a tad too severe for me & should the edge of the razor blade dig in, you've got an ever bigger scratch!!
Did any of you already tried the display polish of Displex on a K5-II screen?

DISPLEX - Scratch Remover Display Polish Classic

I previously used this product to remove scratches from a CD Player and it worked great. I'm wondering if this can be used on my K5-II as well.

10-17-2014, 04:30 AM   #23

Many years ago I went to work for Boeing Aircraft at the Renton Wa. site working on 707's. The first thing they had me due for about a week is to polish out scratches in the outer window pane using jewlers rough (which is red) which is what I think most folks are talking about when they refer to "rouge". We used a soft cloth and rubbed the scratch in a circular motion with light pressure. If you rubbed too hard additional scratches would show up. I believe these window pains were made of some sort of acrylic and we were able to get about 99% of the scratches out. That was one of the most boring jobs I had ever done.

Steven
10-22-2014, 01:58 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by homola.mate Quote
Did any of you already tried the display polish of Displex on a K5-II screen?

DISPLEX - Scratch Remover Display Polish Classic

I previously used this product to remove scratches from a CD Player and it worked great. I'm wondering if this can be used on my K5-II as well.
Any ideas and comments on this Displex scratch remover polish cream?