Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 06:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Is the K-5II getting discounted?

Hey guys...with the release of the K-3 i was getting ready to get one, but the AF doesn't seem much better, and if the K-5II gets a nice discount its probably a better option for me...do you guys think its getting to the $900 range until February?
Thank you

11-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
but the AF doesn't seem much better
What makes you think the AF on the K-3 isn't much better?
11-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In france there is a 100 euros cashback
11-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I saw the K5ii going for $760 on Amazon... I always remember it being in the 900s.

11-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
What makes you think the AF on the K-3 isn't much better?
Well, Pentaxforum's first impressions...
11-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Well, Pentaxforum's first impressions...
he AF speed is limited somewhat by the lenses, but the AF-C and tracking is vastly improved. The accuracy of the AF is also greatly improved.

If you shoot weddings, sports, wildlife or just people moving about, then you will see a huge difference in the AF over the K-5II, but for landscapes and more static subjects you won't see a noticeable difference.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/241586-my-k-3-af-experiences.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/241346-k-3-af-c-test-picts.html

Last edited by Winder; 11-05-2013 at 06:21 AM.
11-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF point density and adjustable lag should lead to a lot of good images with the K-3. Also three f/2.8 sensor points instead of one for the K-5 II... but one is far more than any previous Pentax so it's still a step up. The US holiday prices will be interesting to watch!

11-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey guys...with the release of the K-3 i was getting ready to get one, but the AF doesn't seem much better, and if the K-5II gets a nice discount its probably a better option for me...do you guys think its getting to the $900 range until February?
Thank you
Gabriel... tudo bem? I just returned from one month visiting family in Brasilia, Goiana and Uberlandia. We spent 11 days in Bahia... (my first trip to Bahia in 30 years! ....). BTW, stay away from the "Dende!" This was the first time I ever had "colica" in over 30 years from anything I've eaten in Brasil. But I guess I met my match! The reason I responded is that while I was in Brasil, I continued to hear rumors about the K3, but when I got home in mid-September, it still hadn't come out. In mid October I paid $899 US for the K5 iiS, plus $19 for the extended warranty. Coming from the K10d, it was a huge improvement. And I knew it would be discounted greatly once the K3 hit, but I had a small photo job in Salt Lake City, and wanted the newer body. I'm still happy I bought it. I would guess that it will drop to what I've just read in another reply, which is low to mid $700's US. Maybe in a year it'll be $500 to $600? I'm now going to learn this body and will probably wait for the model beyond the K3... maybe K1 with a full frame sensor? I would guess you'd be wanting someone here stateside to get one for you and bring it back? Or maybe you'll have the ability to go to Miami? We saw the air fares for RT to Brasil have risen with the upcoming world events. So unless you have a lot of money put aside, you may have to wait? Prices in Brasil, over the years, have dropped a bit. But photo equipment is still expensive in the retail stores. When I was in Brasilia we stopped at Extra and one of the larger Home Builder/Hardware Stores, and I was appalled at the high prices on retail consumer electronics and tools. (almost x2 what we're paying) But it's always been like that. I just thought with the drop in the value of the $US your prices would also drop a bit more. Anyway, good luck in whatever you decide to do. ate' logo, Al
11-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for your help...turns out that the decision will be made based on what i'm able to sell here until January. haha

QuoteOriginally posted by alsterling Quote
Gabriel... tudo bem? I just returned from one month visiting family in Brasilia, Goiana and Uberlandia. We spent 11 days in Bahia... (my first trip to Bahia in 30 years! ....). BTW, stay away from the "Dende!" This was the first time I ever had "colica" in over 30 years from anything I've eaten in Brasil. But I guess I met my match! The reason I responded is that while I was in Brasil, I continued to hear rumors about the K3, but when I got home in mid-September, it still hadn't come out. In mid October I paid $899 US for the K5 iiS, plus $19 for the extended warranty. Coming from the K10d, it was a huge improvement. And I knew it would be discounted greatly once the K3 hit, but I had a small photo job in Salt Lake City, and wanted the newer body. I'm still happy I bought it. I would guess that it will drop to what I've just read in another reply, which is low to mid $700's US. Maybe in a year it'll be $500 to $600? I'm now going to learn this body and will probably wait for the model beyond the K3... maybe K1 with a full frame sensor? I would guess you'd be wanting someone here stateside to get one for you and bring it back? Or maybe you'll have the ability to go to Miami? We saw the air fares for RT to Brasil have risen with the upcoming world events. So unless you have a lot of money put aside, you may have to wait? Prices in Brasil, over the years, have dropped a bit. But photo equipment is still expensive in the retail stores. When I was in Brasilia we stopped at Extra and one of the larger Home Builder/Hardware Stores, and I was appalled at the high prices on retail consumer electronics and tools. (almost x2 what we're paying) But it's always been like that. I just thought with the drop in the value of the $US your prices would also drop a bit more. Anyway, good luck in whatever you decide to do. ate' logo, Al
Hey! Hope you had a great time in here...I actually have a trip to New York scheduled for the end of January, so that's my chance to buy it...
I'll be photographing my girlfriend's ballet presentation, and the dates were still to be set, so i was hoping it would be after i got the K-3, but it turns out that its in December :/ so K-30 it is.
Até mais! Abraços.