Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K5 II played up on my holiday to China

I just got back from 2 weeks in China. About midway through the trip, on power up my K5 II came up with a screen that prompted me to set the focal length of the lens attached. The auto focus didn’t work and the aperture of the lens didn’t work (stayed fully open).

It was as though the lens and the camera body wasn’t talking to each other. I then tried two other lenses with the same result (all newish auto focusing lenses; lens/camera contacts seemed clean/functional).

Anyway, I continued to take photo’s by manually setting all relevant parameters ( set zoom length, power on camera, set focal length, set aperture to 2.8 on camera, then choose shutter speed and ISO to get reasonable exposure, then manually focus (got lots of great shots still!) This camera state was consistent over the next 4-5 days.

Later I noticed that once in a while when the camera was switched on it seemed to work ok for a few shots…..then it reverted to it’s faulty state as per above. seems like a loose connector/contact, dry joint etc?

So back it goes to Pentax to see whats going on. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/images/smilies/hmm.png

11-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Dirty contacts.

Try a rubber eraser to clean them But be damn careful not to get any residue inside the camera.
I did mine upside down VERY gently.
11-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
You can also use some high purity rubbing alcohol (90%+) and a swab. It is very common with every modern interchangeable lens camera.