Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks to me like a bit of camera shake also. Did you have SR on? Even if yes, you need to give it a second to "turn on" if you will. Here's a good work flow: Chose where you want to focus. Use the point-select mode, and pick whichever autofocus point is in the right place. Hold the shutter half way down and allow the lens to focus. Hold very still and wait for the wavy hand icon in the viewfinder - this is the shake reduction icon. It make take a second to show up. Now comes the tricky part. Control your breathing, and breathe out calmly. Halfway through the exhale, stop exhaling and push the shutter button smoothly. If you just mash the button down, the action of pressing the button shakes the camera enough to cause blurry pictures.

For more detailed tips about avoiding camera shake, Heie wrote a great article: Making the Most of Long Exposure Handhelds - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Another way to avoid camera shake is to increase the shutter speed to at least 2xfocal length. It can help.

11-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Looks to me like a bit of camera shake also. Did you have SR on? Even if yes, you need to give it a second to "turn on" if you will. Here's a good work flow: Chose where you want to focus. Use the point-select mode, and pick whichever autofocus point is in the right place. Hold the shutter half way down and allow the lens to focus. Hold very still and wait for the wavy hand icon in the viewfinder - this is the shake reduction icon. It make take a second to show up. Now comes the tricky part. Control your breathing, and breathe out calmly. Halfway through the exhale, stop exhaling and push the shutter button smoothly. If you just mash the button down, the action of pressing the button shakes the camera enough to cause blurry pictures.

For more detailed tips about avoiding camera shake, Heie wrote a great article: Making the Most of Long Exposure Handhelds - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Another way to avoid camera shake is to increase the shutter speed to at least 2xfocal length. It can help.
Thanks Kozlok,
The Pentax K5iis is my first DSLR camera. I need a lot of times to learn how to use it. When I try to Manual Focus for Macro shot ,I have hard time to get it to Focus Right.
Now I know it is Not easy to do Macro shotting !!.But I will keep to try ...
steve
11-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use manual mode all the time. I also use manual focus too, as the AF systems on all DSLRs frequently focus on the wrong part of the subject.

Though I use the FA*200mm f/4 ED and the Sigma 180mm f/3.5 - both of these longer macro lenses have different qualities which separate them from the common 100mm f/2.8 lenses.

11-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I use manual mode all the time. I also use manual focus too, as the AF systems on all DSLRs frequently focus on the wrong part of the subject.

Though I use the FA*200mm f/4 ED and the Sigma 180mm f/3.5 - both of these longer macro lenses have different qualities which separate them from the common 100mm f/2.8 lenses.

Thanks Digitalis for Sharing your Very Nice Macro shotting Images.
With the Longer lens may be easy than 100 mm ,Isn't ?
Steve

11-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #20
Veteran Member

11-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevewong Quote
With the Longer lens may be easy than 100 mm
Actually it is harder, expecially if you are hand holding the lens. The FA*200mm f/4 ED and Sigma 180mm f/3.5 are hefty lenses* and the extra focal length frequently means you have to use higher shutter speeds to get usable images, but the practical upshot of the long focal length is that you don't have to be physically so close to your subjects to get close up images of them.

Pentax K5IIs with Sigma 180mm f/3.5 APO EX - Pentax AF160FC ringflash and supplemental lighting from wireless AF540 and AF360 + 82mm worth of extension tubes used

* some people complain that these two lenses are heavy, frankly I don't consider them to be prohibitively cumbersome. I'm no power lifter, but I find heavier lenses are easier to hold steady than light ones.