Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #1

moving from nikon D40 to Pentax K-5 ii / s

Hello!

Second post here (after the introduction). I live and work in India and photography is strictly a hobby. Over the last 5 years, I've taken about 20,000 photos with my nikon D40 and while I'm in love with the camera, I feel I've outgrown the camera mostly due to few dedicated controls, inability to crop much and the initial choice of lenses I made.

I only have the kit lens 18-55, an additional 55-200 VR and the SB-400 flash.

I analysed the exif data on about 5000 of my images and realized that about half the shots are at the 18 mm APS-C end. About 92% are in 18-85 mm range. Thus, my needs are at the wide end (photograph the ancient monuments of India more than anything else, very limited people, some street scene, flash usage is about 10% of the time so can dispense with that possibly?)

I was contemplating upgrading to a nikon D7000 (and a matching lens) when the thought of getting a Pentax K-5 ii occurred. I reckoned I'd spend about $1000 if I buy the nikon combination of D7000 with 18-105 or perhaps the 140. For the same amount of money I can look at the K-5 ii and the 18-135 WR (there's a sale on Amazon).

my primary considerations for making this move would be good image quality, reliability of equipment (lots of dust where i live and shoot) and usage for next 5+ years? I'm also confused about spending the extra 100 on a K-5 iis (without the AA filter) as opposed to the K-5ii.

As pentax doesnt sell in India, I'll have to get the camera from my brother who lives in the US. I plan on ordering by end of the month.

Any suggestions would be great.

thanks!
- Vaibhav

11-15-2013, 10:14 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Regarding the II vs the IIs: if you plan on using the 18-135mm, you won't benefit much from the s. Wait until black friday and there will be some smoking deals on the K-5 II (and probably the Nikons too)! You can't go wrong either way IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-15-2013, 11:49 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Adam for the welcome and the suggestion. The leaning towards 18-135 is due to the overall good reviews the lens gets plus the climatic conditions I live in and my photography style (best characterized as walkabout). Not changing lenses in the field (or minimizing atleast) would significantly help though the more images I look at (on this forum and elsewhere) taken with Pentax, the more confused I get. I'm even open to the idea of looking at another body with two lenses so as to better spread the 1000 dollars I have in mind.
11-16-2013, 03:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hey Clueless

I agree with Adam that if you go for primarily the 18-135 WR, it is of no real benefit for you to spend the extra money for the K-5 IIs. Very simply put, the 's' lack the AA filter so that shots are inherenty sharper, but at the risk of moire. It's a trend as of the past couple years (the K-5 II and K-5 IIs were the first APS-C DSLR's to offer the option, the Nikon D800 and D800E being the first overall and obviously for full format as well). Your D40 has an AA filter. But to really see the difference, you would need the top lenses that have good enough glass to resolve such minute sharpness and resolution at the pixel level. While I would adamantly argue it's the best kit/walkaround lens offered anywhere of any camera system, the 18-135 WR isn't sharp enough to really see the difference. For that, you need to upgrade to DA/FA Limited of DA* lenses - Pentax's professional (and pricier) line of glass.

That said, in bright daylight (which India has plenty of!), I honestly have a hard time seeing (and no one else surely notices) the difference between the 18-135 WR and my DA* glass at stopped down apertures (especially around f/8) unless I dive into the 100% pixel views.

I also agree with Adam when he says wait for Black Friday (the last Friday/weekend in November), as it's a notorious time for savings in America, and you will surely be able to score some deals.

As for recommendations, the 18-135 is certainly what I would recommend for your walkaround kit. Also to consider, though, is that Pentax just released an WR variant of the 55-300, so it might be of interest to you to do a body + 18-55 WR + 55-300 WR, giving you 18-300mm in a weather sealed combo. The 55-300 is about the size of a 300mL coke can.

Another option would be the body + 18-135 WR + the DA 50 f/1.8 so you have a fast low light/portrait lens as well (sadly not WR).

You've probably noticed that I keep saying "body" and not "K-5 II". That's because it might also interest you to go to the K-50, a less robust camera with slightly lower quality in image quality (you would have to really push it to its limits to see those differences) but with slightly better video and focus peaking in its liveview mode (which the K-5 II / IIs do not have). If I were you, I would go for the K-5 II. The main reason for this is because you said you plan to keep this camera for 5+ years, so the K-5 II should be far more durable over that life span. Not to mention its shutter is ridiculously silent. I have the IIs version as well as the K-30 (same as the K-50 except for its body), and I obviosly go to the IIs most of the time. The K-30 (K-50) is a camera, whereas the K-7/K-5/K-3 series of bodies are tools. I find the shooting experience to be far richer with them. Also, as a landscape shooter, you will come to LOVE the ISO 80 of the K-5 II - the dynamic range at that ISO is competitive with the best full frame and medium format cameras on the market.

If you take a look at the October Deals Page, you'll notice that combination deals save lots of money. I would keep an eye out for those as the end of November rolls around.

Lastly, since you are drawn to the Pentax weather sealing aspect, I can understand if there are reservations to trust it. Trust yours truly

Hope this helps

-Heie

11-16-2013, 04:27 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Hey Clueless

I agree with Adam that if you go for primarily the 18-135 WR, it is of no real benefit for you to spend the extra money for the K-5 IIs.

<snip>

That said, in bright daylight (which India has plenty of!), I honestly have a hard time seeing (and no one else surely notices) the difference between the 18-135 WR and my DA* glass at stopped down apertures (especially around f/8) unless I dive into the 100% pixel views.

As for recommendations, the 18-135 is certainly what I would recommend for your walkaround kit.

Another option would be the body + 18-135 WR + the DA 50 f/1.8 so you have a fast low light/portrait lens as well (sadly not WR).

<snip>

Lastly, since you are drawn to the Pentax weather sealing aspect, I can understand if there are reservations to trust it. Trust yours truly

Hope this helps

-Heie
Heie

Thank you ! Very helpful post. Ok, so I will look at K-5 ii and possibly the K-50 as well.

As you've rightly said that we have more than adequate sunlight here (no point taking pictures of monuments here past between 10 am and 2 pm or so, they just look so faded) , I've found the dinky sb-400 very useful in many situations (fill flash in monuments, rock carvings, temples and what not in India). Are there any inexpensive Pentax / compatible brand equivalents? What I saw on october deals page was about $400 or so.

The aspect of weather sealing I'm attracted to you've adequately shown in the thread you shared (dust storm, I've been through more than one, had the sensor cleaned). However, on re-reading the thread and soaking it all in, the fact that you are inclined to photograph and share your experiences while doing defending your country, I salute you!!
11-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #6

Original Poster
The more I look at the 'no more tests' thread, the more I realize that keeping a single walk about zoom is convenient but would seriously compromise image quality. Also, cant tell you how beautiful those images are! Superb.

Also, another thought - though it does call for two lenses is to purchase the K-5 ii new (body only), the 16-45 lens (there's an extra 2 mm which would help go wider and the color rendition is very nice), I've seen a used piece on shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=889257&u=523490&m=66875&urllink=keh.com and a 55-300 WR as heie pointed out. It does overshoot the budget by 30% though
11-17-2013, 08:26 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

The 16-45 is discontinued as well as not weather sealed.

I did some research, and I think I can help you out. How's this?
And with the gift card, the 50mm is essentially free (plus $9 left over).

Total paid at checkout - $1165.

Should you want to go the K-50 instead, the 50mm for $116 is still available:
Total paid at checkout - $965.

Personally, if I were you, I would look at it this way: the two hundred dollar difference becomes very little over the course of 5-7 years. It becomes even less once you factor in the free gift card, which makes the difference only $75.

The next lens I would then invest in after that is not on the tele side. So ignore the 55-300 recommendation from me earlier. Instead, find a 10-20/10-24 type ultra wide angle. The difference between 10 and 18 is worlds apart from the difference between 135 and 300. The wide side is a whole different world to explore!

Hope this helps

-Heie

11-17-2013, 10:45 PM   #8

Original Poster
Heie (and anyone else reading this):

If you get a few minutes today, could you please look at this image gallery. Its on another forum. It should give you an idea of the kind of shooting I do. I think walkabout best characterizes it. Through my eyes - India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com.

Just thought it might give a better idea if the lenses / cameras you've suggested would work well for this?

I bought my current D40 + 2 lens combo + flash (sight unseen) based on reviews only back in 2008 from the US (had my brother bring it over) and it has served me very well so I'm going the same route for the upgrade too.

thanks in advance
Vaibhav
11-18-2013, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cluelessd40 Quote
Heie (and anyone else reading this):
If you get a few minutes today, could you please look at this image gallery. Its on another forum. It should give you an idea of the kind of shooting I do. I think walkabout best characterizes it. Through my eyes - India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com.
Just thought it might give a better idea if the lenses / cameras you've suggested would work well for this?
I bought my current D40 + 2 lens combo + flash (sight unseen) based on reviews only back in 2008 from the US (had my brother bring it over) and it has served me very well so I'm going the same route for the upgrade too.
thanks in advance
Vaibhav
Whoa! Was not expecting that! Excellent work!

My favorite was the No liquor for the deity, which is a very intense portrait. Good on you for slight off centering. You aren't too new at this, it shows

And judging from those, I stand by the 18-135mm + 50mm combo. You have your combo for wide and tele, and you have a very shallow DOF portrait (quasi macro) lens. I think you will be stoked with that combo

But seriously - well done.

-Heie
11-18-2013, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't add much to the sage advice already tendered here. Except that the 10-17 fisheye is a lens to keep an eye open for. You can get it for around $350 used, less if you're patient and diligent. That's a great lens for wide architecture at the 17mm end. It's not super-fishy there, and then open at the 10mm it's 170 degrees FOV. Pentax has a great little fisheye zoom.

The 18-135 on my K5 performs very well. It's ready for anything you throw at it. You can get some nice close images if you keep an eye on your settings and light, too.
11-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hi Vaibhav
What part of India are you from? How close are you to the major metropolitan cities? If I were you I would be hesitant of buying through your brother in US. Camera and lenses are pretty finicky and need extensive testing for back focusing, contamination on sensor ,smudges etc. If you really want to benefit from a black friday deal as Adam mentioned I would suggest your brother to perform some basic tests. Especially Dead On Arrival symptoms Opening the box will also ensure Customs Clearance at Mumbai/Delhi Airport will not be a problem
Secondly have your brother purchase from a very reputable store like Amazon (buy directly from Amazon, not the gazillion vendors listed there!). I presume your brother is gonna be visiting India for christmas vacations. In case there is any problem with the camera, you can always send the camera gear back to US with him. That way you get your money back easily.
The only other concern is there dont seem to be many repair stores for Pentax in India/South Asia in general compared to Canon/Nikon/Sony.
People in India have barely heard of 'Pentax'!
Just my 2 cents based on the numerous times I have had to ferry items for friends and family in India
11-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Another thing, if your brother can order from Costco it will be even better, as costco has very generous return policies! (3 month return policy on most items, no questions asked).
11-26-2013, 01:13 AM   #13

Original Poster
Hi Danny

I live near Delhi now (in Noida). Pentax has officially been launched this year in India but the service center contacts given on the Pentax India page (which is the RICOH company page actually) don't work. . The brand's known amongst a very niche community of followers but nowhere close to CaNikon or Sony (which would is likely the best known brand here of the three due to association with other electronics).

I understand about the dilemma buying electronics from the US but my previous two experiences - one of the current nikon DSLR and second of a denon micro system have been very positive (touch-wood). The only time I needed any repair done on Nikon was when I wanted the sensor cleaned this year and it worked out fine here.

He can do the DoA check fine I think (I'll ask him nicely). I checked at the costco site but the 18-135 WR bundle is not available nor is the Pentax K-5ii.

Thanks for warning me - I'll think over this in the next two days (before the sale opens) and proceed accordingly.

-Vaibhav
11-30-2013, 04:48 AM   #14

Original Poster
Hi Danny, Heie, Adam, Ter-or and anyone else reading this thread - I tried to get the K-5 ii + 18-135 WR deal from B&H but was a bit late and it was out of stock. In parallel, the bestbuy deal for the D7000 + 18-140 VR was back in stock and my brother ended up ordering that. He'll collect the camera from a store in Florida and bring it over during christmas vacation.

Are there any specific checks he should do with the camera? I can instruct him to charge battery, and do on/off so that we know the camera is not DoA. What other checks can be easily done? Any response appreciated.