Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
PEF files - K5 and K5IIs

I have a K5 and a K5IIs. I also just bought a Macbook Pro.

I haven't loaded any of my photo software yet so all of my current uploads go through iPhoto.

iPhoto can upload PEF files created by my K5, but when I try to upload them from my K5IIs, I'm told the files can't be read.

Has anyone had the same experience and if so, how did you upload the files? Via a different photo software? On my Windows PC, I would upload with ACDSee and it was no problem.

And what is different between PEF files created by the two cameras?

And finally...should I change the default setting to DNG instead of PEF?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

11-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should either update your software, or use a program like exiftool to change the camera name from K-5 II to K-5 and then just open the files normally. The only difference is the name of the camera, which your software checks against its internal database.

QuoteOriginally posted by cowbelle Quote
And finally...should I change the default setting to DNG instead of PEF?
Yup, doesn't hurt.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #3

Original Poster
Adam,
Thanks very much for the tips.

In the meantime, I figured out how to change the settings so that the upload does NOT go through iPhoto. I was able to then upload all the photo's and put them in a folder.

Thanks again for your help,

RC
11-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Change to DNG anyway.

11-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-5 II support was added in Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 4.04 which requires Aperture 3.4 or later, or iPhoto 9.4 or later.

K-5 II support was included in OS X 10.8.4 or later.
11-18-2013, 06:43 AM   #6

Original Poster
Interesting.thanks very much. I'll check and see if K5IIs has been included too.