Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 IIs or K3?

Hello,

I use a plain and ordinary K5 and I'm thinking of upgrading to either a K5IIs or a K3.

I mostly shoot sports, weddings and portraits in (a very seldom) semi-professional capacity.

I've read the reviews on both cameras and I can't decide if the price tag of the K3 is worth it. The autofocus doesn't appear to have improved dramatically and I've survived this long with only 1 card slot! I can pick up a K5IIs for half the price of a K3 - is it twice as good?

Also, if the rumours are true and a new model is coming next year the K3's price will also drop.

Decisions, decisions...

Any, and all, thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Matthew.

11-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Going from a k5 to a k5iis is a tiny upgrade compared to stepping up to a k3. If you're going to be spending money, I'd invest in the k3 for its improved metering, live view, performance, and resolution.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Your choice here is really either the K3 or wait for the next flagship body. Differences between the K5 and K5II, like stated above, are in the details, whereas the K3 is a much larger upgrade with a new sensor, AA filtering, burst, AF, metering, screen, better video, the list goes on.

If the new features are important to you (sports could probably use the K3's new burst and AF) then get the K3.
11-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I feel your pain, as my K-5 is on the disabled list right now; I expect that holiday pricing may decide for me. The II series really only wins out on focusing: much improved in low light & slightly more confident in general. I'd say what you mostly shoot would not benefit greatly. The K-3 is a larger jump so more learning but a few compromises (file sizes, battery life and wallet hit, last one being the hardest part). We'll know soon what Ricoh most wants to move!

11-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I would go for a K-3. That's what I did. It's a good upgrade. I love the detail and sharpness of the photos compared to the K-5, especially at ISOs below 1600. I shot K-State football this weekend with the Tamron 70-200 and I definitely came out with more keepers than what I was getting with the K-5. The AF is definitely snappier and the tracking is better than the K-5, but I wish I had a longer lens like a 300mm so I could fill the frame with the subject more. There were times when I would miss shots when switching from the quarterback to the receiver because the camera focused on the background. I would say that was my fault for not getting the center focus point right on the receiver, but its difficult to do when your subject is only a small part of the frame.

I still need to play around with the AF-C settings to figure out which to use in certain situations. I initially avoided using the auto select mode for choosing between focus-priority or shutter-priority. I used shutter priority first, but then decided to try auto select and it seemed to work better. Just my gut feeling and what I observed.

I was able to shoot over over 1600 photos on one battery. I realize this will be different for "normal" shooting, walking around, snapping away here and there and not machine gunning it.

I do have a question and would like some advice. I'm planning to sell my K-5 and get another body. I'm waiting for some good deals on either the K-5II or K-5IIs in the next week or so. Should I just keep my K-5 or sell and get the K-5II, or should I splurge... and get another K-3?
11-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Kellyboy Quote
Also, if the rumours are true and a new model is coming next year the K3's price will also drop.
There is a new model every year.......

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
battery life
Despite the official specification I have not noticed any significant difference between k-5 and k-3 on battery life in real world use. I've got 668 images on the k-3 and it just started to show yellow, I'm going to run it till it dies to test but I don't see why 750 is not reachable.

QuoteOriginally posted by The Kellyboy Quote
I've read the reviews on both cameras and I can't decide if the price tag of the K3 is worth it.
It will depend on what is important to you. I don't think the average user will see a big difference in image quality between k-5 and k-3. But if you need 24mp, well the k-5 can't do that. If you need 8fps, well the k-5 can't do that. I think the k-3 is a huge upgrade from the k-5II in many areas but only if you need/use the features that were updated. I pre-ordered and I'm glad I did, k-3 is an excellent camera. But k-5II is also an excellent camera.
11-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I would wait until the first K-3 price drop and buy one then.
11-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks very much!

I think I'll wait until the K3 drops in price!

Cheers,

Matthew.

11-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In a similar boat, once the K-3 price drops a little it will be a highly attractive upgrade to my K-5.

But I bought one of the first K-5 bodies in the UK and paid top whack, then waited for weeks while it was replaced for the sensor stain issue. In the meantime I had sold my K10d, and I was without a camera.

This time I will wait until the price reaches a level at which I am happy to keep my K-5 as a backup. Looking forward to that moment!
11-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You could also invest in a lens

From these choices I would say look into the K-3 and sell the K-5.
11-22-2013, 11:25 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Ron,

I use the 16-50mm 2.8 and a sigma 70-200mm 2.8.

Are the primes, like the 77mm, that good?