Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #1

k5ii AF during video

Quick question (sorry if its a repeat, couldn't find it in the forums). I'm helping a buddy out with his Kickstarter project by doing the filming for him, which is the first time I've used my K5ii for video, and I noticed something frustrating - the AF is fine when I start the filming, but when I change camera placement (closer, farther, etc), there is no AF while filming. The focus point remains set through the length of the video. Am I missing something, or is this how filming w/ a DSLR is? Thanks

11-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax does not make anything with full-time AF in video, though others do. I was quite impressed with micro43 for that, but I've never tried Canon or Sony to know about speeds. I expect Pentax will get there soon - just not yet.
11-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Pentax does not make anything with full-time AF in video, though others do. I was quite impressed with micro43 for that, but I've never tried Canon or Sony to know about speeds. I expect Pentax will get there soon - just not yet.
Much appreciated. Glad to know I'm not simply a meathead. Well, at least not in this instance...
11-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kjbds1 Quote
there is no AF while filming
True. It's focus, start, stop, re-focus, start, stop, etc for each scene (if necessary - with wider lenses and stopped down you may have enough DOF leeway to avoid refocusing much of the time).

is this how filming w/ a DSLR is
Generally, yes. You won't find guys using continuous autofocus during filming on their Canon 5D2's or 5D3's either, for example, because (a) they don't support it and (b) generally, DSLR video shooters like to retain control, and continuous AF can produce unpredictable focus results (and sometimes generate audible noise too, depending on the lens).

11-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Much appreciated. Glad to know I'm not simply a meathead. Well, at least not in this instance...
You'd have to resort to manual focus. Like the professionals do!
11-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
True. It's focus, start, stop, re-focus, start, stop, etc for each scene (if necessary - with wider lenses and stopped down you may have enough DOF leeway to avoid refocusing much of the time).
That's what I ended up doing (the stopped down wide lens) and it worked out quite nicely. Thanks