Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #1

Hope this is nothing to worry about

Sent my K-5 to have the viewfinder diopter slide assembly replaced that I broke by accidentally wacking the camera with a ceiling fan. Other than that plastic assembly breaking there was no other damage on the camera yet when I checked the CRIS Camera website it shows the document that there were scrapes and scratches on the camera. I hope they aren't using a crow bar and a hammer to repair my K-5. Anyone have similar findings?

...Blake

11-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I don't have any experience with CRIS, but repair places are very through about documenting the existing condition when received so you can't come back and say they damaged it. Samsung did the same thing when I had to send a phone for warranty repair. They were likely just noting scrapes and scratches from normal use, most gear that sees use will have some blemishes.

However, for my personal peace of mind I always try to photograph and document the condition myself before sending anything for repair, though it has never been an issue.
11-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had my k-5 in to CRIS and their initial review/evaluation or whatever you call it was very detailed. They noted tiny scratches I had not really paid attention to. I think they were fair in the report, just covering themselves so they don't get complaints when they send it back. I think they went over mine with a magnifying glass.

At any rate I would not be concerned. I got mine back in fine shape, cleaned and adjusted and repaired.

I do think the wait time for parts was downright ridiculous and is a major obstacle for Pentax gaining any ground in the pro market, but that's another story and not CRIS's fault.
11-26-2013, 10:37 PM   #4

Original Poster
I sent my camera in in the 11/15 and it's being shipped 11/27. I can't complain about the turnaround time.

11-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BlakeShellman Quote
I sent my camera in in the 11/15 and it's being shipped 11/27. I can't complain about the turnaround time.
I would not either. Did you need parts? Mine was there about 10 weeks and all but maybe 3 days of that the status was "parts hold". So I am very happy with CRIS, not so much with Ricoh parts, but maybe they have that squared away now.
11-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #6

Original Poster
The plastic Diopter Slide assembly plus the frame for the runner eyecup were broken.."or maybe that's all the same assembly. The parts were in stock.
12-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #7

I sent mine to CRIS not long after I bought it new. They found things wrong with it that I did not know about and repaired those too. Took about two weeks and it has been fine since.
12-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #8

Original Poster
Tracking says I should have the camera on 12/05/2013. I'm sorry to hear about the long turnaround times. I'd be very frustrated if I has to wait as long as you've said. I'm looking forward to being able to take some high quality photos again.

12-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #9

Original Poster
Got my camera back. Looked over the entire camera closely and the only thing I saw was that pop up flash cover looked like the black was a different shade of black. As if CRIS marked up the cover while disassembling the camera to replace the broken components and then touched it up with a paint of some sort. Not sure though. The days turned out overcast and miserable so I skipped shooting any photos. My first lens will be the 43mm when I can shoot some photos.