Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #1

K-5: Contrast adjustment affects saturation?

I was looking at the K-5 II but the K-5 is still for sale here and also lighter.
According to IR: Pentax K-5 Review: Full Review changing the contrast
affects the saturation.
Does anyone know if this is true?

Regards
Kees

11-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What they said was 'Default saturation and contrast a bit high' and 'Highlight correction ineffective, and sometimes had opposite effect; contrast adjustment impacts saturation.'

Both of these relate to JPG processing options you have full control of in-camera. The default JPEG image tone is, for example, 'Bright'. Change it to 'Natural' and contrast and saturation become more subdued and 'natural'. It's totally under your control. Some people like the 'Bright' look though.

'Highlight correction' is also an optional feature for JPEG images you can turn on or off in the camera as you see fit. It usually works fine for me, but I turn it off since I don't really need it. Either way, you can experiment with it to see if it works for you or not.

And the weight difference between the K-5 and the K-5 II is inconsequential: K-5 is 740g with battery and SD card, K-5II is 760g with battery and SD card.
11-28-2013, 07:13 AM   #3

Original Poster
You're right about the weight. Still I like the K-5 better than the K-5 II. From what I've seen I also prefer 'Natural' over 'Bright'. I get that I have full control of in-camera settings.
But that's not a complete answer to my question whether - based on your experience - adjusting contrast on the K-5 has an impact on saturation.
If it does have an impact: How? (I find it awkward, the K-30 has the same issue (IR again))
If it doesn't have an impact. No problem.
12-02-2013, 06:04 AM   #4
sTi
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by khenna Quote
You're right about the weight. Still I like the K-5 better than the K-5 II. From what I've seen I also prefer 'Natural' over 'Bright'. I get that I have full control of in-camera settings.
But that's not a complete answer to my question whether - based on your experience - adjusting contrast on the K-5 has an impact on saturation.
If it does have an impact: How? (I find it awkward, the K-30 has the same issue (IR again))
If it doesn't have an impact. No problem.
Yes, changing contrast does affect saturation with the Pentax in-camera and DCU software contrast options that are available to us. It's just how applying a contrast curve in RGB mode usually works - the more contrast you add (i.e. stronger S-curve), the more "warm" and saturated the colors will become. You can easily see this also in Pentax DCU software when opening Raw files: Increasing contrast by one step has a similar effect on colors than increasing saturation one step. If you want to avoid an increase in saturation, you'll have to develop your Raw files with software that can use algorithms that avoid color shifts (e.g. Raw Therapee) or that allow you to work in LAB color space (again Raw Therapee or e.g. Photoshop), which keeps luminosity and color information separate (as opposed to RGB).

12-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
"If you want to avoid an increase in saturation, you'll have to develop your Raw files with software..." No, you don't have to do that. Making the realization that changing contrast can affect saturation allows you to make your own default settings.

To me, every camera's contrast is too high, and I like lots of dynamic range with natural colors. Therefore for example, on regular ordinary partially-sunny to sunny days, my Custom Image settings (sans sharpness which is lens dependent) are as follows:

Natural
Saturation: +2
Hue: 0
High/Low Key Adj.: +1
Contrast: -2
Contrast Highlight Adj.: -4
Contrast Shadow Adj.: 0

On overcast days though my Custom Image is set to:
Bright
Saturation: +3
Hue: 0
High/Low Key Adj.: +2
Contrast: -2
Contrast Highlight Adj.: -4
Contrast Shadow Adj.: +2

My Saturation settings are due to my Contrast settings.

Last edited by zekewhipper; 12-11-2013 at 04:54 PM.