Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Computer doesn't recognise K-5 ...?

Hello All,

I hope one of you can help with this as I can't quite fathom why it happens ... I recently got a fine K-5 and now am trying to connect it to my laptop via USB, however, the laptop doesn't recognise the K-5. Is this normal & if so might one of you know of a solution to it?

Help is appreciated

Greetings,

Jesper

11-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Have you tried it on other USB ports? Laptops usually have more than one. Sometimes they just fail to recognize a device for no apparent reason.

Frankly, although you didn't ask, my best advice is to not use the cable for downloading images. It drains the camera battery and you are dependent on a cable that can fail at any time. If your laptop doesn't have a card port, use a card reader. A portable, static plug-in type only costs a few dollars. Amazon.com: Transcend Information USB 3.0 Card Reader (TS-RDF5K): TRANSCEND: Electronics
11-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Is the camera in MSC or PTP mode for USB? It is in the wrench menu, 2nd page. In MSC mode it should appear just like a thumbdrive.

A card reader is the best solution though, so you aren't wasting camera battery transferring files.
11-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would really suggest you use a card reader with the fastest USB connection your computer allows (either usb 2.0 or 3.0). That way you don't have to connect the camera to the computer, you just plug in the SD card. Its usually faster and easier this way. Also, don't get the absolutely cheapest no-name card reader - its a worthwhile investment to get a reliable one

Edit: And why your computer doesn't recognize it.. I dunno, I never connected my Pentax cameras to the computer. It could be the computer needs some drivers (see the CD's and manual that come with camera) or the USB port is incompatible. Please tell us more, like what exactly you do and what happens, if anything at all. And tell us what OS you are running

Last edited by Na Horuk; 11-28-2013 at 04:45 PM.
11-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has this laptop ever recognized your camera as a device? If yes, then unplug the camera from the laptop, reboot, wait until your laptop quits loading everything at startup and then plug the camera in to your laptop. Sometimes when your laptop resumes (from having gone to sleep or hibernating) it doesn't probe all connected devices, so it knows something is connected to the USB port but it doesn't remember what, and it doesn't try to find out either. Reinserting a device in a USB port may not trigger your computer to recheck the device either, resulting in an unrecognized device. If you switch USB ports, you can sometimes end up with a situation where the computer realizes that the same device is being connected to a different port, but it doesn't remember what the device is, so it goes unrecognized again.

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Is the camera in MSC or PTP mode for USB?
PTP mode is useful if you have a program that starts automatically to download pictures from your camera once it is connected to the computer. However, it only works if your computer has a driver registered to use with the camera. MSC is Mass Storage Class, and in that mode, your computer treats your camera like a memory stick or card reader. You have to transfer files manually, which may or may not be inconvenient for you.

If this laptop has never recognized your camera (so it has never prompted you to download or transfer pictures to your laptop), and you wish to use PTP mode, unplug the camera from your laptop and check the setting on the camera. If it is set to PTP, turn off the camera and reboot your laptop. Just as above, wait until it quits loading everything for startup, insert the USB cable from your camera and then turn the camera on. Your laptop should indicate that a device has been connected to it (usually by making a sound), and it should start probing that device and try to locate a driver for your camera. Worse case scenario, your laptop will ask if you want to search the Internet for a driver, but usually a generic PTP driver is good enough and the whole process shouldn't take more than 30 seconds, assuming there isn't another program running in the background (to update iTunes or your browser, for instance). Depending on what AutoPlay options are set for your laptop, you may not get a prompt to download pictures, but if you go to My Computer, you should see your camera listed as some kind of device (usually removable storage).

Last edited by RGlasel; 11-28-2013 at 06:17 PM. Reason: incomplete sentence
11-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi all,

& thanks a lot for your replies & suggestions ... what a fine & very useful feedback from you I'll just consider what to do - the main thing was to find out if there were any known driver or other issue with either the camera or the software but it doesn't seem to be so. Great! .... BTW it seems to be a very special camera ...

Greetings & thanks again,

Jesper