Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2013, 10:54 PM   #1

K5IIs noise

Hi forum - I hope you can help me :-)
I have a K5IIs and am still learning how to use it. However, I've been disappointed recently with noise, even at ISO400. Could it be that I have some settings incorrect?
It didn't seem to be a problem at first - only now, a few months later.
I'd really appreciate your opinions / thoughts.
Thank you,
Catherine

11-28-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Catherine Quote
Hi forum - I hope you can help me :-)
I have a K5IIs and am still learning how to use it. However, I've been disappointed recently with noise, even at ISO400. Could it be that I have some settings incorrect?
It didn't seem to be a problem at first - only now, a few months later.
I'd really appreciate your opinions / thoughts.
Thank you,
Catherine
Can you post some samples? Depending on the shooting conditions, noise may be visible as early as at ISO 400, but there certainly shouldn't be much of it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-28-2013, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

A sample image with the EXIF intact would help. But noise is more than just the camera sensor, the image and the exposure will also affect the noise or at least how visible it is. I have a very low tolerance for noise and on the k-5 and k-5IIs I rarely went over 400 ISO as it got noticeable. I find I am applying noise reduction to any image over 200 ISO on the K-3. I don't think 400 ISO is usable for me on the K-3 without a lot of work in post.

There are a few things you can do to help, the most effective for me has been making sure I am properly exposed. Any area that is a little dark and then pulled up in post will have more noise.
11-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Can you post some samples? Depending on the shooting conditions, noise may be visible as early as at ISO 400, but there certainly shouldn't be much of it.
Thanks Adam - will try to post later.

11-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
A sample image with the EXIF intact would help. But noise is more than just the camera sensor, the image and the exposure will also affect the noise or at least how visible it is. I have a very low tolerance for noise and on the k-5 and k-5IIs I rarely went over 400 ISO as it got noticeable. I find I am applying noise reduction to any image over 200 ISO on the K-3. I don't think 400 ISO is usable for me on the K-3 without a lot of work in post.

There are a few things you can do to help, the most effective for me has been making sure I am properly exposed. Any area that is a little dark and then pulled up in post will have more noise.
Thanks jatrax - is that normal in other brands too? (Canon, Nikon....)
11-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter

No idea, never used anything but Pentax. And I see lots of images here with very high ISO, so it can be done.

Images for personal use can be de-noised and downsized and the noise will be much less noticeable. Images for commercial work I just shoot at 400 or lower usually 200 or lower.
11-29-2013, 12:11 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Nikon uses the same Sony sensors as Pentax, though tests say Pentax is slightly better in many cases. Canon makes their own sensors and seems to fall behind Sony in the noise category.

The differences you'll see are mostly just down to the experience of the photographer and the final size of the image. Even 12800 ISO can be usable if you know what you are doing and have reasonable expectations for final size and viewing distance. Exposure is very important, if the image is improperly exposed even 80 ISO can have noise.

I'm not a pixel peeper, I don't look that closely at my images, so even 3200 ISO is fine for me with minimal noise reduction and processing.
12-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Haven't yet seen any images from the OP?

12-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Canon sensors are the noisiest.

Nikon and Pentax often use the same Sony sensor and/or are very close.

You might be just seeing "shot noise".

If there is only little light (because light levels are low or you are using fast shutter speeds and/or small apertures) then you are seeing the stochastic nature of light.

The K-5 IIs has one of the best APS-C sensors when it comes to noise performance.