Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2013, 10:54 PM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 31
K5IIs noise

Hi forum - I hope you can help me :-)
I have a K5IIs and am still learning how to use it. However, I've been disappointed recently with noise, even at ISO400. Could it be that I have some settings incorrect?
It didn't seem to be a problem at first - only now, a few months later.
I'd really appreciate your opinions / thoughts.
Thank you,
Catherine

11-28-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,235
QuoteOriginally posted by Catherine Quote
Hi forum - I hope you can help me :-)
I have a K5IIs and am still learning how to use it. However, I've been disappointed recently with noise, even at ISO400. Could it be that I have some settings incorrect?
It didn't seem to be a problem at first - only now, a few months later.
I'd really appreciate your opinions / thoughts.
Thank you,
Catherine
Can you post some samples? Depending on the shooting conditions, noise may be visible as early as at ISO 400, but there certainly shouldn't be much of it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-28-2013, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,772
A sample image with the EXIF intact would help. But noise is more than just the camera sensor, the image and the exposure will also affect the noise or at least how visible it is. I have a very low tolerance for noise and on the k-5 and k-5IIs I rarely went over 400 ISO as it got noticeable. I find I am applying noise reduction to any image over 200 ISO on the K-3. I don't think 400 ISO is usable for me on the K-3 without a lot of work in post.

There are a few things you can do to help, the most effective for me has been making sure I am properly exposed. Any area that is a little dark and then pulled up in post will have more noise.
11-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #4
Junior Member




Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 31
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Can you post some samples? Depending on the shooting conditions, noise may be visible as early as at ISO 400, but there certainly shouldn't be much of it.
Thanks Adam - will try to post later.

11-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
Junior Member




Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 31
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
A sample image with the EXIF intact would help. But noise is more than just the camera sensor, the image and the exposure will also affect the noise or at least how visible it is. I have a very low tolerance for noise and on the k-5 and k-5IIs I rarely went over 400 ISO as it got noticeable. I find I am applying noise reduction to any image over 200 ISO on the K-3. I don't think 400 ISO is usable for me on the K-3 without a lot of work in post.

There are a few things you can do to help, the most effective for me has been making sure I am properly exposed. Any area that is a little dark and then pulled up in post will have more noise.
Thanks jatrax - is that normal in other brands too? (Canon, Nikon....)
11-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,772
No idea, never used anything but Pentax. And I see lots of images here with very high ISO, so it can be done.

Images for personal use can be de-noised and downsized and the noise will be much less noticeable. Images for commercial work I just shoot at 400 or lower usually 200 or lower.
11-29-2013, 12:11 AM   #7
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,720
QuoteOriginally posted by Catherine Quote
Thanks jatrax - is that normal in other brands too? (Canon, Nikon....)
Nikon uses the same Sony sensors as Pentax, though tests say Pentax is slightly better in many cases. Canon makes their own sensors and seems to fall behind Sony in the noise category.

The differences you'll see are mostly just down to the experience of the photographer and the final size of the image. Even 12800 ISO can be usable if you know what you are doing and have reasonable expectations for final size and viewing distance. Exposure is very important, if the image is improperly exposed even 80 ISO can have noise.

I'm not a pixel peeper, I don't look that closely at my images, so even 3200 ISO is fine for me with minimal noise reduction and processing.
12-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,294
Haven't yet seen any images from the OP?

12-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 9,201
QuoteOriginally posted by Catherine Quote
Thanks jatrax - is that normal in other brands too? (Canon, Nikon....)
Canon sensors are the noisiest.

Nikon and Pentax often use the same Sony sensor and/or are very close.

You might be just seeing "shot noise".

If there is only little light (because light levels are low or you are using fast shutter speeds and/or small apertures) then you are seeing the stochastic nature of light.

The K-5 IIs has one of the best APS-C sensors when it comes to noise performance.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, k5iis, noise, pentax k-5
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got myself a new K5IIs VladM Pentax K-5 22 05-26-2014 01:43 AM
k5iis HDMI PD63 Pentax K-5 4 07-22-2013 07:53 AM
K5IIs sample? pinholecam Pentax News and Rumors 349 12-20-2012 12:00 PM
K5iis detail RobG Pentax K-5 5 11-18-2012 06:45 PM
Noise...noise..do I need software? ejbpesca Photographic Technique 15 04-07-2011 03:39 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:48 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top