Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Prevent ISO Shift in Av or Tv Mode

In Av mode you set the Aperture and the camera sets the Shutter speed - a known situation. But in my K-5 I notice the camera shifts the ISO instead of the Shutter Speed when I point the lens to a varying light source - dark to bright.
The same is true for the Tv mode. I have tried searching the internet and the Forum but cannot find the reason / solution.
I am certain there is a camera Menu to correct this situation but cannot lay my hands on it.
Request help from my Pentaxian friends.
Thanks & Regards in advance.

11-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Don`t have my camera handy but I think this is caused by having ISO set to auto. Try setting ISO to a fixed number and see if that helps. If i`m wrong someone will likely correct me.
11-29-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
You likely have Auto ISO enabled, just hold the ISO button and turn the dial to your desired ISO to disable it. If you want to re-enable it for any reason, hold the ISO button and press the green button.
11-30-2013, 02:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
You likely have Auto ISO enabled, just hold the ISO button and turn the dial to your desired ISO to disable it. If you want to re-enable it for any reason, hold the ISO button and press the green button.
...or simply the green button

11-30-2013, 03:25 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
...or simply the green button
Maybe I have a setting different, in Av or Tv modes the green button does nothing on its own.
11-30-2013, 03:29 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Yup, lock down ISO by setting it yourself. Then Av or Tv has no other option but to change the shutter speed or aperture respectively.
11-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank You all wonderful Pentaxians. I have the ISO set to change with the rear edial. So if I set the ISO manually through the rear edial or the dedicated ISO button + the edial, the ISO no longer shifts but the Shutter Speed does in Av mode. I suppose the Tv mode should now be fine too.
Problem solved.
I still feel there is another solution hidden somewhere in the Menu as I read this on the net but failed to record it. Sorry if I am going on a wild goose chase but my curiosity has got hold of me.
I have again run through the menu items but cannot spot it. The K-5 is such a wonderful camera but the Operations Manual is not very helpful. It does not explain "if you do this ....." or "when & why you should apply this setting".
Thanks and Regards.
11-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

[Fn]
ISO
Pick a number.
[OK]

Then in the Rec menu, Memory, turn off Sensitivity. Now when you shut the camera off, it will return to your preferred default value.

11-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
[Fn] ISO
Pick a number.
[OK]
Then in the Rec menu, Memory, turn off Sensitivity. Now when you shut the camera off, it will return to your preferred default value.
This is a good solution. Was mentioned above but w/o the excellent Memory menu tip for Sensitivity - tick in the box removed - now no reset after shut down.

But will turning off the Sensitivity tick box in Memory affect the Auto ISO change in the TAv mode?
I thought the TAv mode relied on setting ISO to Auto with the ISO range set from say 100 to 6400.

Thanks for the useful tip Canada_Rockies Sir. By the way, my 2nd home is in Thornhill, Toronto.
11-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
This is a good solution. Was mentioned above but w/o the excellent Memory menu tip for Sensitivity - tick in the box removed - now no reset after shut down.

But will turning off the Sensitivity tick box in Memory affect the Auto ISO change in the TAv mode?
I thought the TAv mode relied on setting ISO to Auto with the ISO range set from say 100 to 6400.

Thanks for the useful tip Canada_Rockies Sir. By the way, my 2nd home is in Thornhill, Toronto.
Probably not, but you can add it to a USER mode along with all the other settings you use when you use TAv. Your second home is right next door! Only about two days by road. I live just West of the Alberta/British Columbia border. We are quite a bit North of Thornhill, too. We are at 49.745 N, Thornhill is 43.8144 N.
11-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hello my Pentaxian Friends. Thank you for your help and the useful tips. USER mode suggestion is pretty neat too.
But I still cannot understand why ISO Shift in Aperture or Shutter Priority Mode is implemented by default, instead of thru a Menu option.
This may be a good option and welcome, but traditionally it is understood and accepted that in Av mode the camera shifts the Shutter
Speed automatically when ambient light changes or when we change the aperture. Vice versa for Shutter Priority.
I hope Ricoh-Pentax is listening.
Regards.

PS: Thanks God you do not live in the French speaking Quebec Region, Canada_Rockies Sir. We had a hell of a time motoring up to Montreal and
Quebec City, as all the road signs were in French - hats off to French Liberty, Equality & Fraternity. In contrast all road signs are in English
+ French in Ontario.
11-30-2013, 10:59 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, my wife is from Quebec and we both are bilingual. I suspect that you are at least bilingual as well, but the second language is not French. The current government in QC is a real pain where we sit down. Most of the time I liken them to a 17 year old who wants to move out (leave Canada) but still have Daddy (Canada) pay the rent.
12-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Actually, my wife is from Quebec and we both are bilingual. I suspect that you are at least bilingual as well, but the second language is not French. The current government in QC is a real pain where we sit down. Most of the time I liken them to a 17 year old who wants to move out (leave Canada) but still have Daddy (Canada) pay the rent.
With children we call that "subsidized independence".