Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
tomwil: I feel your advice is misguided. Imaging sensors like the one found in the K-5 require an AA filter as part of its design. There's no other way around it. That's why the original K-5 was specified with it.
There is a way round it! The K-5IIs has the same CFA and light-sensitive sensor as the K-5, and works very well without an AA filter. (I believe it has optically neutral material in its place to ensure that everything else is consistent with the K-5 and the K-5II).

12-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #17
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I think most will agree that the iis would be the best choice (if not for everybody in all situations). But when the question is a iis with kit lens or a ii with top quality glass there is no doubt in my mind: the better lens wins. Every time.
12-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for their insight. I am sure I will be reading your posts down the line. I will continue to reach out to this great community when I receive my K-5 II.

If I learned one thing from this posting it is that everyone with a K-5 series body is pretty happy with their purchase. In the end isn't that what is important!

Have a happy Cyber Monday! What a great weekend.
12-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #19
JLR

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I think most will agree that the iis would be the best choice (if not for everybody in all situations). But when the question is a iis with kit lens or a ii with top quality glass there is no doubt in my mind: the better lens wins. Every time.
I agree completely, and even more so (if possible) given the details the OP provided in the first post. Eventually you'll replace the body. At that point you'll still have the lens.

12-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #20

I would put the money saved towards high quality glass. I have used my K-5 with 16-45 and 55-300 zoom lenses in the past two years and considered myself happy until I bought my first DA 40mm Limited this summer. What a big difference it makes in picture quality! Now my zoom lens are just sitting in my closet after I got 15/21/70 Limited. As an electronic product, camera will be out dated much sooner than lenses in high quality.
12-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
My take:

I have not yet had a single instance of moire with my K-5lls and would highly recommend it. Having said that, if I were in the market today I would probably get the K-5ll because I am on a limited budget and the discount they are currently offering on the K-5ll would simply make it impossible to justify getting the K-5lls.

Last edited by djam; 12-02-2013 at 07:11 PM.
12-03-2013, 04:27 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Shooting handheld should eliminate most concerns regarding moire and false color. The combination of man-made objects, tripods and sharp lenses is when it can rear it's ugly head.

12-03-2013, 05:36 AM   #23

Original Poster
Moire I again state has never been the issue. This issue came down to value. Had the K-5 IIs body been on sale for $699 or $725, I would have gone with it over the $599 deal for the K-5 II. I am sure many others would have as we'll, but the K-5 II for $599 or with a nice kit lens for $799 was too good a deal to pass up...so I didn't. Can't wait to put it in my hands and take some amazing photos.

If someone paid a couple hundred more for the IIs that is a great decision too. When someone paid a little less for a K-5 II system, great decision as well.

Classis win, win scenerio from Pentax, B&H Photo, Adorama, and Amazon. (Purist, please note I didn't say Ricoh. lol)
12-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You did very well, enjoy! Look forward to photos! Most of my glass is film era...
12-03-2013, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The first decision is always brazenly good. The reflection on it is all hindsight and an exercise in futility.

You did a great job my friend.
12-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Suhail Quote
The first decision is always brazenly good. The reflection on it is all hindsight and an exercise in futility.

I would like to thank everyone for their feedback and opinions. I must say, that I am very impressed with my first DSLR! The K-5 II is packed with features an I am just beginning to scratch the surface. Will have a big day out with the camera in the morning. Until then I could not be happier with my purchase. Can't believe this camera was only $599!

In the past couple days i have been doing a bunch of low light photography and I am very impressed Here are a couple of my first photos.

Lightroom 5 is still in the mail, so be easy on a novice.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 

Last edited by kraigg007; 06-09-2014 at 03:19 AM.
12-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kraigg007 Quote
I would like to thank everyone for their feedback and opinions.......

In the past couple days i have been doing a bunch of low light photography and I am very impressed Here are a couple of my first photos.

Lightroom 5 is still in the mail, so be easy on a novice.
Awesome! I received my K-5iis yesterday. I will like to get there soon in terms of quality of pictures.

Btw, the details on the wood is my kind of photography, only if I could get half as good :-)
12-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #28
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Suhail Quote

Agreed about the reflection.. no time machines.. no going back.. but you wouldn't want to in this case!

For a first DSLR, you got a rather incredible one, kraigg007! This is my 3rd and it is still rather incredible to me.

I ordered one too -- This camera at high ISO is verrry nice! The top LCD panel is incredibly useful and low light focusing is fantastic. plus 14-bit RAW vs 12-bit in many other bodies.. (once you get Lightroom, try setting the camera to take RAW or RAW+ with format set to DNG -- you can do A LOT with processing in DNG format in LR)

Also, once you get a sealed lens, you can take it out into (non-monsoon) rain or dusty environments.. if that is your thing.. Don't think one can say that about the Canikonys (Canon Nikon Sony) in this price range.
12-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #29
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You did good! I shoot a lot of wildlife, and use the Bigma 50-500 with my K5 original. I'm usually happy with the results until I see some shots posted that blow mine away in sharpness and detail. The shooters are using the same K5 I am, but have some of that 500mm $5k glass mounted......It was easy for me to conclude that it is the glass that makes the difference most of the time........of course, those guys are also better processors and shooters, but their glass definitely gives them the edge or they wouldn't be spending that kind of cash!

Yes! Get good glass, the bodies come and go, but glass is forever!

Regards!