Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #1

Canon user looking to switch

Hi all,

New to the forum. I've been looking at the k5ii since its price drop and was wondering if I should make the switch. I really like that the IS or SR is built into the camera. I don't do video and really don't plan too. I mainly shoot portraits and products. There are times that I need good low light performance that I'm not getting with my 60D. Please advise, thanks

12-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NJKEV Quote
Hi all,

New to the forum. I've been looking at the k5ii since its price drop and was wondering if I should make the switch. I really like that the IS or SR is built into the camera. I don't do video and really don't plan too. I mainly shoot portraits and products. There are times that I need good low light performance that I'm not getting with my 60D. Please advise, thanks
The $599 deal (Pentax K-5 II Digital SLR Camera 12016 B&H Photo Video) expires today, so if you want to make the jump while securing the big savings, you will have to act today.

Pentax currently has a nice DA* portrait lens (the 55mm) that is great for portraits, and a 35mm macro that is great for product photography. The low-light performance of the K-5 is also pretty good.

If you already have a few EF lenses, have you also considered the 6D? I'm not too familiar with the deals that might be going on for it, but it should be even better for low light.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Any Pentax you get today will have better performance than your 60D, or really, any Canon APS-C camera. It's a noticeable difference.

Adam's correct - if you want to stay within Canon, though, you can go FF. It's a more-noticeable difference, although some product photography requires a 'defined minimum' DOF in which case the noise performance will be better on the Pentax than the Canon.
12-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Not sure how to advise. k-5IIs is likely as good or better than anything in it's price class. But these days most contemporary cameras will have similar image quality. It is more about how well the camera feels, menu system works, ergonomics, ease of use of the controls and so on. If you have a local shop with a Pentax in stock pick it up and handle it. k-5 and k-5II are all identical body wise so either will feel the same.

You also have to look at the whole system. Does Pentax have the lenses you need? If you want 600mm f/4 then no it doesn't. There is a great selection of lenses, just make sure it fits what you need. Remember you are buying into a system not just a camera.

But if you want a recommendation, I've had k-x, k-5, k-5IIs, and now k-3. My wife now uses the k-5IIs and my daughter in law has the k-x. All cameras still work great, I have over 40,000 images on the k-5 alone. So sure go for it. But I'll bet if you ask that question on a Canon forum you would get a different answer

12-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #5

Original Poster
I currently use a Canon 85mm 1.8 for portraits. So the DA 55mm is good for portraits? I saw a lens in the 70mm range, is that better? Also, 35mm macro for product photograph?
12-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by NJKEV Quote
I currently use a Canon 85mm 1.8 for portraits. So the DA 55mm is good for portraits? I saw a lens in the 70mm range, is that better? Also, 35mm macro for product photograph?
On APS-C 55mm is a better focal length for portraits. The bokeh from the 55mm is very nice, so I'd recommend getting it over the 70mm.

And yes, the 35mm is fantastic for product photos.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: