Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #1

Advice for new K5 owner? (settings, etc)

So I got a K5 a couple months ago (kicking myself since it was the same price as the K5II is on sale now...ah well.) and am just getting a chance to start platying around with it a bit. Previously working with a K20d.

I have been looking through the custom settings menu, and haven't had a lot of time to read up about new features, etc. I was hoping the generous folks here might have some advice.

I'd like to know if there are any new features I should specifically pay attention to, and custom settings that are sort of universal recommendations, and any general advice for getting the most out of the camera (in terms of configurations, not technique).

Thanks!

12-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi and welcome to the K-5.
I have one and really like it. There is not a big difference between K5II and K5 so I would not worry too much.

You might want to check out Adams K-5 review where he recommends some settings:
Pentax K-5 Camera Review - Walkthrough - PentaxForums.com

It really depends on what you are doing with the K-5 and your shooting style, so there is no substitution for a bit of experimentation until you figure out what you like and don't like.
For me I live mostly in "P" mode (hyper Tv / Av is great), followed by "M" and now experimenting with Tav. Most of the default K-5 settings seem pretty good to me, although switching to manual AF points is a must of me. Oh and enabling "Allow aperture ring use" setting.
12-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Switch to shooting RAW as default...
12-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Yes, shoot RAW as default, or if you need the quick view when dl'ed, RAW+JPEG. Also, and I just learned this, in Custom 3(?).15, turn camera to "AF priority" from "shutter Priority," especially if you use a remote. I had the HARDEST time figuring out why the pics taken with my remote were blurry, or in other words, why the AF system would not activate with my remote. Turns out, it was because the default on Custom.?.15 is "shutter priority," which means the shutter will fire even if the subject is oof. This also clears up why I would occasionally get oof images. I turned it to "focus priority" and viola, the AF system activates before the shutter when using a remote, or at all times really. Search my threads: It took my MONTHS to figure this out!

12-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Also, I was pumped about the user modes, researched set them up, haven't used them more than a handful of times. I usually shoot Av or M, but I haven't used the user modes at all. So maybe save some time and bypass this fiddling.

And shoot RAW...always! Particularly if you have a version of LR.
12-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I don't use the user modes a lot, but did create a "Action Mode" with higher ISO, action oriented program, and max shooting rate. The other user modes I never used so cant have been too helpful
12-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tele_pathic Quote
Yes, shoot RAW as default, or if you need the quick view when dl'ed, RAW+JPEG. Also, and I just learned this, in Custom 3(?).15, turn camera to "AF priority" from "shutter Priority," especially if you use a remote. I had the HARDEST time figuring out why the pics taken with my remote were blurry, or in other words, why the AF system would not activate with my remote. Turns out, it was because the default on Custom.?.15 is "shutter priority," which means the shutter will fire even if the subject is oof. This also clears up why I would occasionally get oof images. I turned it to "focus priority" and viola, the AF system activates before the shutter when using a remote, or at all times really. Search my threads: It took my MONTHS to figure this out!
Had kind of the opposite issue - could not understand why I could not take night pictures. Finally figured out it was the camera could not focus

12-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions, good stuff so far. I always shoot in RAW unless it's just boring id pictures for wildlife, etc, that I don't expect to keep. Interesting to hear about some of the new K5 stuff. I had gotten pretty proficient with the K20d, but am still fumbling my way through getting things my way on the 5. Seems to be more menu driven, which isn't super, but I may just not have explored the buttons thoroughly yet. Wish it was a little large, but I guess I'll add the grip.

Is there a quick way to switch between user modes on the fly? I'd like to have one for bird shots (especially on the wing), but it would be useless if I have to flip through menus to get to it...can't tell the birds to wait.
12-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll second a "fast shot" mode where all in-camera corrections are disabled for fastest burst recording. I built mine out of TAv mode, continuous shooting, with kind of average starting settings - f8, 1/500 since most times I'd use this in bright light, and can quickly adjust via the two wheels.