Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Cucho's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Viña del Mar
Photos: Albums
Posts: 49
Problem with Pop-up Flash

I have a Pentax K5 since 2012 and I've always used an external METZ Flash on it for night events.

A few months ago I tried to use the pop-up flash and it didn't worked, I mean... the camera does not work when I pop the flash out, it doesn't focus, or take the shot =(. Does that have happened to anyone before or have a solution? I have the last firmware on it but... could it be a software problem, or it is electronic/mechanical?

Thank you all for your opinions.

12-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 456
Either the flash or the camera is broken or, more likely there is an unclean contact. I prefer Staedtler erasers.
12-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 433
What mode are you in?
What aperture are you using?
What shutter speed is selected?
What are the internal flash's setting in the custom functions?
What auto focus mode is selected?
What lens(es) does this happen with?

Need this information to give an informed answer.

Regards

Chris
12-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian
calsan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,367
Short answer: Your flash is dead.

You need to get the camera fixed.


12-04-2013, 06:09 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Cucho's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Viña del Mar
Photos: Albums
Posts: 49
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
What mode are you in?
What aperture are you using?
What shutter speed is selected?
What are the internal flash's setting in the custom functions?
What auto focus mode is selected?
What lens(es) does this happen with?

Need this information to give an informed answer.

Regards

Chris
Hi Chris! well it doesn't matter because it happens with any lens, at any aperture, on any mode. It just doesn't respond when I pop up the flash. But I'm doing it right now with this settings:

What mode are you in? ---> Av
What aperture are you using? ---> 2.8
What shutter speed is selected? ---> 1/200
What are the internal flash's setting in the custom functions? ---> On
What auto focus mode is selected? ---> AF.S
What lens(es) does this happen with? ---> FA35-2
12-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member
sterretje's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Roodepoort, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,534
QuoteOriginally posted by Cucho Quote
What shutter speed is selected? ---> 1/200
Flash is disabled at shutter speeds faster that 1/180s. Only way around that is HSS (high speed sync).

Reason: 1/180s is the fastest shutter speed at which the shutter is fully open; if the shutter speed is faster, the shutter is not completely open when the flash fires and you would get a picture that only 'receives' the flash light where the shutter is open (in pitch black and depending on shutter speed, that might be e.g. half a picture black and the other half correctly exposed).
12-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Cucho's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Viña del Mar
Photos: Albums
Posts: 49
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Flash is disabled at shutter speeds faster that 1/180s. Only way around that is HSS (high speed sync).

Reason: 1/180s is the fastest shutter speed at which the shutter is fully open; if the shutter speed is faster, the shutter is not completely open when the flash fires and you would get a picture that only 'receives' the flash light where the shutter is open (in pitch black and depending on shutter speed, that might be e.g. half a picture black and the other half correctly exposed).
I'm trying now at 1/25 and it doesn't work either.
12-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
New Member
Shastajak's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4
Me Too

I have the same problem. Occasionally it will auto-focus, but most of the time not and the shutter wont depress at all. I've tried different shutter speeds, but not different lens yet, as it only started today. But I'm using a Pentax FA 1.4 50mm.

I'm hoping this is not going to be expensive to fix - is there anything I could try?

12-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member
sterretje's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Roodepoort, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,534
QuoteOriginally posted by Cucho Quote
I'm trying now at 1/25 and it doesn't work either.
I only replied to the specific post. I now see that opening post also mentions no AF, which indicates a deeper problem. A reset to factory defaults might solve it (just to get all settings that you might have modified back to 'normal'), but I'm not very optimistic.

QuoteOriginally posted by Shastajak Quote
I'm hoping this is not going to be expensive to fix - is there anything I could try?
Get a cheap (or expensive) external flash I know it's not as convenient.
12-06-2013, 02:08 AM   #10
New Member
Shastajak's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Get a cheap (or expensive) external flash I know it's not as convenient.
I thought you might say that - I'll have to add it to my Xmas list
12-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Cucho's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Viña del Mar
Photos: Albums
Posts: 49
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Get a cheap (or expensive) external flash I know it's not as convenient.
I always use one, that's why I never noticed the problem, until now xD.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, flash, focus, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5, pop-up, problem, shot
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pop-up flash with M-lens? Naruto Pentax K-5 17 05-21-2013 09:58 AM
My K-5's going to the shop—Pop-up flash problem bwDraco Pentax K-5 5 06-18-2012 07:03 AM
Camera won't autofocus or take a picture with pop up flash GabrielFFontes Pentax K-r 16 03-07-2012 05:39 PM
K20D pop-up flash doesn't pop up! ducdao Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 11-29-2011 07:57 AM
K2000 - Pop up flash will not pop up. tkindred Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 08-17-2009 08:54 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:33 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top