Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Now's a fine time to ask.

My new K-5II should be here Monday. While going through the K-5 forum I notice a thread about the K-5 lens release button falling off. Does anyone know if Pentax fixed this problem?

12-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
My new K-5II should be here Monday. While going through the K-5 forum I notice a thread about the K-5 lens release button falling off. Does anyone know if Pentax fixed this problem?
I don't think it's a defect, but rather something that can break if you abuse your camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I've had my K-5 for a year now, hasn't happened to me and I'm a prime shooter that changes lenses often.
12-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

From the looks of it the lens release buttons of the K-5 and K-5 II are made the same. I tend to agree with Adam that it would take a good amount of abuse to knock the button off. Had their been a built-in flaw it would have been corrected with the K-3 I'd think, and the K-3's button looks the same as the K-5.

12-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I think given the number of complaints there was a flaw with some K5's. I personally had a K5 that had it fall off, got it fixed and it fell off again. I don't consider myself someone that would abuse my equipment. Since the last fix the K5 has been solid (well over a year) and so far the K5 IIs has shown no signs (albeit there were no signs when it fell off). So the answer to your question , I don't remember reading any complaints about the K5 II and the lens release button so I would say that issue may have been due more to a bad batch slipping through the QA loopholes as opposed to a sheer design flaw. Although I also agree abuse could expedite it ha!
12-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

K7 has same body and I've never heard of the lens release falling off on a K7.
So I think it was a bad batch of buttons for some of the K5 only.
12-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #7
CDW
Site Supporter

The button fell off my K5 and I don't abuse my camera. When I called the company in AZ handling service for Pentax I was told it would cost over $200 to repair and they didn't have the part. Ricoh needs to seriously overhaul Pentax support in this country. It's crazy that other companies offer factory support while Pentax farms it out.

The solution offered to me was to use a straightened paper clip to actuate the release mechanism to change lenses. Not really a great solution for repairing of what is otherwise a world class camera.

12-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't think it's a defect, but rather something that can break if you abuse your camera.
Adam,

I think another conclusion could also be drawn. I would agree with the second part - mistreat or abuse the camera and something may break - but I don't think there has been clear evidence concerning the cause(s) of the reported button failures. Wasn't there a rash of user reports on this issue, and numerous suggestions that the users had not done anything to provoke the button to detach? Not sure we can say whether there is/was a defect or not. I don't recall hearing about the same issue on other Pentax models, which might suggest that there was a flaw in the design or manufacturing of this relatively simple mechanism.

The reports concerning the K-5 were numerous enough that I started to wonder whether my own K-5 would suffer the same fate out in the field. Luckily it didn't, and I am less worried about my K-5 ii.

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
When I called the company in AZ handling service for Pentax I was told it would cost over $200 to repair and they didn't have the part.
CDW,

Was yours one of the first failures? Regardless, the part is very inexpensive and should be stocked locally or be obtainable quickly. Their 'fix' - a paper clip? Sheesh.

- Craig
12-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

No abuse caused mine to fall out. After almost a year and a half, I called the company and they sent out the complete assembly for free. I may get around to installing it...someday.