Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2013, 05:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 Flash Photo

The K-5 and the built-in- flash still shows its mettle, and I would like to show case use of a one light photo with the lowly pop up flash.
The Pros tell us that use of just one flash source as the main light produces harsh results & blah, blah .....
Here is a K-5 shot with the pop up flash. The lens is the legendary but cheap Tamron 28-75 mm f2.8. Exif data is intact.appreciated.
Please do judge for yourselves. Comments / criticisms.
Regards.

Attached Images

12-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The pros are right
12-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think for what you wanted the image is great and that's why they bother to put the rinkydink flash on the camera.
12-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I think your photo is fine. The flash exposure is just about perfect. The only problem I see is the location of the shadow created by the flash with the camera turned shutter button up. The shadow is now to the child's left instead of down. In a shot like this one, it doesn't detract much. However, I was taught that the single source flash head needs to be directly above the lens to drop the shadows down evenly and my eye is trained to only be happy with it that way on simple shots. This is why I use an external flash and a properly adjusted Stroboframe Flip-Flash bracket.

On the other hand... After relooking at your photo, having the flash head off to the subject's right a bit does effect the texture of the skin on his nose from one side to the other. Almost to the point of thinking like a classic two light studio set up. But I still am bothered by the background shadow.
Just my comments (personal preferences) on a generally fine snap shot.

Regards,
Brian T

12-19-2013, 11:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Brian. I have saved your comments for trying out your suggestions. I am very bad at flash photography. I was at the colloseum in Rome - a life time trip -and could not balance ambient light + the built in flash on my K-20D to capture a portrait of my wife + the collseum in the back ground. I would end up over exposing my wife or the awesome colloseum in the background.
I find the old Auto Thyristor Flash Gun giving me best results on my K-5 and the K20D. I put the camera on Tv mode, match the ISO and Aperture on the Flash with that on the camera and go click click. The auto eye adjusts the flash power between the subject distance suggested on the flash. Awesome old technology.
And the Tv mode allows me to change the shutter speed between 1/180 sec and 1/30 if i need more ambient light.
Regards.
01-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #6

Thanks for the thread Nanhi and comments Brian. I have very little experience with flash and related composition issues, so everything I can read is helpful.
01-13-2014, 04:46 PM   #7

Here is a snapshot I took last night of a friend opening a birthday present. I think that the image is in the vein of what you are trying to capture with the K-5's pop-up flash.

With this image, I set the flash exposure to -.7. I also set the white balance to "cloudy," as this seems to enhance some of the warm colors that are often lost with indoor flash photography. I used a kit lens - 18-55mm WR. Exposure settings were f5.6, 1/100s, and ISO 800. The only thing that you have with this image that you wouldn't with a multi-flash type setup is some minor reflections in the background behind her head. (However, it is a mirror above her head, so how much of that can you really control?)

Hope that helps you out! I'd be happy to take any further suggestions from others - I only started in digital photography a couple months ago. But previously, I shot everything manually with a Canon AE-1 Program.

Last edited by MrJed; 01-14-2014 at 05:02 AM.
01-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With a new camera I always put a piece of milky scotch on the flash, to have a smoother light.

Top is with scotch, bottom without...

Last edited by fs999; 01-14-2014 at 02:53 PM.