Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #1

Two K5 Issues / Questions

Hi;

I have been using my K5 since around 1 October - bought used, no really serious complaints. Great camera.

Buuut...

Item #1:
Sometimes after I take a shot, I'll go to adjust aperture or shutter, and they're linked. I'll adjust one and the other will compensate for the change, keeping the same results for the next shot. I have to toggle the mode dial between manual (what I shoot with almost all the time) and say, bulb to release the link.

I'm certain I set this up somehow, but can't figure out how to turn it off.

Item #2:
Last night I was tweeking some settings; just browsing the menus really, and somehow I set metering so it won't release the shutter if an unacceptable exposure setting is made. I discovered this tonight. Can't figure out where I set this up. Seriously want to turn it off.

Lastly, Item #3:
Again, when the cam senses exposure isn't set correctly for current conditions (lens cap on, or pretty dark out) the LCD flashes on and off in the most annoying way. I would like to turn this off also.

Any and all comments and suggestions are most welcome.

Thank you!

Chuck

Last edited by ChucK20D; 12-09-2013 at 06:14 PM.
12-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Chuck,

Welcome to the K-5 - I love mine!

Don't have my K-5 in front of me at the moment to remind my of what menus - but I can answer:
1. Have you by chance pressed AE-L (star shows in viewfinder) while in manual mode. This will attempt to keep the same exposure when you change shutter or aperture.
Its very handy but pressing AE-L again releases the link.
12-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the K5!
Custom menu 1, Step 7. Auto EV Compensation. You want that off or the camera will always try to "correct" your settings, even in full manual.
The flashing LCD is telling you that it is sensing extreme under/over exposure.
12-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Hi Chuck,

Welcome to the K-5 - I love mine!

Don't have my K-5 in front of me at the moment to remind my of what menus - but I can answer:
1. Have you by chance pressed AE-L (star shows in viewfinder) while in manual mode. This will attempt to keep the same exposure when you change shutter or aperture.
Its very handy but pressing AE-L again releases the link.
Thanks Jonathan.
AE lock wasn't on when I checked it just now, but now I know what to look for, next time I get the f-stop and exposure linked.
Chuck

12-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manacho2005 Quote
Welcome to the K5!
Custom menu 1, Step 7. Auto EV Compensation. You want that off or the camera will always try to "correct" your settings, even in full manual.
The flashing LCD is telling you that it is sensing extreme under/over exposure.
Hi Matt,
I just checked >Custom / #7 / Auto EV Compensation< and it was and is definitely off.
But I went up to #5 AE--L with AF-Locked, and that was on (2). I shut that off. Went out and tested it, along with toggling the AE-L button per Jonathan's suggestion, and shutter won't release, and the LCD and main screen just flash away.

Thank you for your suggestion though.
I'll keep going with trial and error. If that doesn't work, I'll use the reset.
Chuck
12-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Are you "Hyper" mode(links aperture/shutter)? Check the custom function that sez the shutter won't be released until in focus.