Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
Forum Member

K5 body with Canon FD Tele lens

Hello folks!

Anyone here used the Canon 300mm/400mm/500mm FD lenses + FD/K mount adapter on a Pentax K5 or K3 body? If yes, may I have your views on the efficacy and picture quality of the combo please? Also::
1. Is adapter with our without optics?
2. Does adapter permit lens to focus at infinity?
3. If not to infinity, upto what approx distance can one achieve sharp focus?
4. Does adapter restrict FD lens to work in wide open only mode? Or can lens be stopped down?
5. Lastly,how does it compare with use of native K mount MF lens? Or the new Pentax 300mm AF lens?

Thanks so much for any inputs!

12-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here are the details per google: Fotodiox Pro Lens Adapter, Canon FD, FL Lens to Pentax K Camera Lens Mount Adapter

It states there it uses glass to adapt causing 1.4x optical correction and it does focus to infinity. No auto focus, no auto aperture you must use stop down metering. If you already own the FD glass I guess it might be worth a try but I serious doubt the results will be close to what you would get from native k-mount glass. Just my opinion, I have not tried it.
12-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

The registration distance on Canon is much shorter than that used by Nikon/Pentax. That's why it is necessary to use an optical correction to get infinity focus. I agree with jatrax that it probably isn't worth it. Any older K mount lens or any old M42 lens with the genuine Pentax mount adapter K (the others are hit and miss) will work much better. Some prefer to use M42 over K and M lenses because Av works. I don't find the green button any serious drawback, so M and K are good for me. Might be because I used manual exposure for so many years.
12-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #4

For that go with NEX

12-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

The screw that sticks out presses on the aperture lever and allows the lens to stop down when you turn the aperture ring.

You can remove the glass to make it a short extension tube. With a long telephoto you should still be able to focus to several meters.
12-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I've tried that

I have that adapter and tried it with my Canon made FD 400. I was very pleasantly surprised by the results. The 400mm is a very good lens to start with. In 135 format the FL equivalent is (400mm x 1.5 x 1.4) 840mm! That is quite a handful to keep steady.

I would use it if I had the need for an 840mm equivalent lens and had about 20 minutes to get it set up along with carrying a large tripod, heavy duty tripod head, ten pounds of weight to hang from the tripod to stabilize it, tripod stakes for soft ground , tripod stabilizer pads for hard floors, sand bag, and a cable release.

It is better a combination than my Tak 300 with my Vivitar 2x macro tele-extender or Kenko 1.4x PZ/AF tele-extender.

I did not try it with my Canon brand 85/1.2, 100/2.8, 135/2.0, 200/2.8, or 300/4.0.

I wanted to use it to get a moon picture, but the moon moved too fast wth framing the picture and then steadying the lens.

Last edited by lmd91343; 12-17-2013 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Spelling
12-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I have the optically corrected canon adaptor, but find that there is a lot of color bleed at large apertures, lenses sharpen up ok when stopped down , but never tried it on a long lens. Never found one cheap enough to purchase
12-16-2013, 02:09 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all, for your timely inputs.... much appreciated!

Imd 91343: Thank you for that graphic description.. ! You could consider adding a sherpa to hump all that load! it lays to rest my fantasies of Canon glass on a K3 body!!

I have been for long considering a shift to Pentax but my investment in Canon glass has me rooted. Not to mention lack of fast focus and effective stabilisation (when compared to Canon's long glass & lens based IS) for flying birds and flitty butterflies.

Guess I will have to wait for Canon to come up with a body that matches the K3 in other aspects/features. Or maybe look at the Sony A7?

The very best to all of you folks! Happy shooting!

12-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Khukri Quote
Guess I will have to wait for Canon to come up with a body that matches the K3 in other aspects/features.
I understand Canon makes some fairly decent gear. Unfortunately they don't have pixie dust in their lenses, but everything is a compromise.
12-17-2013, 02:30 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Canon does make reliable and good stuff. Problem is most of the bodies with fast focus capability have sensors exhibiting terrible low light/high ISO performance. Those bodies with good low light performance have not so fast focussing systems. To get both in a Canon body one must look at the 1Dx - costing more than $6000, I think!
Even so, built in HDR, intervalometer, sweep panorama, twilight mode, anti blur mode, etc (so useful in hand held landscape photography and available in some Pentax/Sony cameras) are not available in most Canon models.