Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #1

Guidance on a K5-II or K5-IIs and lenses

Hello

I am looking for some guidance on my first SLR in a really long time (my first and only was the cannon A2E way back when). Lets just say I am newbie all over again. To will try and keep this short and concise as possible.

I am an outdoorsy person and that last cameras I had got destroyed by the elements no matter how hard I tried to keep them safe (cannon G9 and a lessor Nikon PS I don't remember the model number of). The big selling point of pentax is the weather resistance of their body/lenses (I am aware they are not waterproof).

What I like to shoot:

Sports, outdoor anything (flowers, animals nature etc) and people. I do like to take pictures of plants and food as well.

How I like to shoot:

I like to shoot without having to be distracting from what is going on. Sure, they my know I am there, but I prefer to disappear in into the periphery or background.

K-5II or K-5IIs?

With info above, which would be the better body for me? It seems like the general consinsious is to get the IIs, but it might be a stretch for my budget and I would rather spend the money on a nicer lens. From the DPReview I read, the K-5II should be just fine for someone like me and probably would not even notice the extra detail (I am total nitpicker and detailed oriented BTW). Is it REALLY that big of a difference?

Lenses:
I would like to start with a nice prime lens and then add a nice zoom thereafter. From the research I have done, Pentax does not make a weather resistant (WR) prime. I don't know enough of the terminolgy to really understand what to pick and this is my biggest stumbling block. Does sigma make WR lenses?

I believe that about covers it and any help will be great!

12-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kubikle Free Quote
I am an outdoorsy person and that last cameras I had got destroyed by the elements no matter how hard I tried to keep them safe (cannon G9 and a lessor Nikon PS I don't remember the model number of). The big selling point of pentax is the weather resistance of their body/lenses (I am aware they are not waterproof).
Pentax DSLRs are not waterproof, but they are weather-sealed against moisture (with DA* and DA WR lenses) and dust (if paired with a DA* lens). Many Canon (7D, FF's) and Nikon DSLRs (D7000, D7100, FF's) / lenses are also sealed, though this isn't marketed as much for some reason.

If you plan on using top-shelf primes most of the time, then you'll probably benefit from the s in the K-5 IIs. Take a look at our review for more info:
Pentax K-5 II / IIs Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Does sigma make WR lenses?
Yes, but none are currently available for Pentax.

Pentax does not make a weather resistant (WR) prime.
Yes they do. The DFA 100, DA* 55, DA* 200mm, DA* 300mm, and DA 560mm lenses are all sealed. Here's a complete listing of sealed lenses for Pentax (note that the "645" lenses are for medium format cameras, not the K-5):
wr Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

As a side note, keep in mind that the K-5 is now discontinued, so act quickly if you'd like to secure a new body from an authorized retailer. You might also want to consider the K-3 or K-50.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-21-2013, 04:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi

As ADAM has already pointed out 7D and other cameras of Enthusiast or Pro category are weather sealed as well. DSLRs are usually NOT waterproof, unless you buy a separate waterproof housing equipment OR buy a special waterproof camera e.g. GoPro or those kinds. Pentax has those too.

If you were to choose between K-5II and K-5IIs - My recommendation is K-5II (The difference is psychological Really )

However as ADAM has already recommended go for Pentax K-3. As you mentioned sports, K-3 is only better in many many aspects. DPREVIEW might take an year or more to review K-3.

I was exactly in your situation a few months ago. The veterans of this forum advised to go low on camera because you would need money for lenes. But well You know how we are. We are happy until we get it.

As Adam recomdended K-50 I would seriously advise you to look into that too. It is identical camera MINUS the features I can assure you wouldn't need currently. For better pictures you need better skills and better lenses.

I can assure you Pentax lenses are so freaking expensive that you would wish you had a Hasselblad

Also I know I might get heat from people, but I would just leave this link here to a thread, read what heasley has to say

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/131261-pen...on-primes.html

Cheers!
12-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

You already got some great suggestions.

For lenses, you may consider the DA18-135mm WR for a start. It is a great all-around lens with WR. After a short while you may check your shots and see your preferred focal lengths.

As Adam pointed, there are a few WR prime lenses, mostly the DA*55, 200, 300mm and the DFA100mm. I may add the DA20-40mm Ltd. This zoom lens is also WR.

I do a lot of outdoor and Pentax has some great offer. K-5, K-5ii, K-5iis, K-30, K-50, K-3.... All are great cameras and all are WR. If I was to buy a new camera, I would go for the K-5iis or the K-3 right now. (I plan to buy one next year and it will be K-3.) I would suggest also to start with the DA18-135mm, and plan for a DA* next year.

My 5 cents.....

12-21-2013, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

One other point: As much as I like primes, I prefer a WR zoom in foul weather simply because I wouldn't want to swap lenses in those conditions more than is strictly necessary. The 18-135 covers most of my WR needs.

That's me, though. Your needs might be different.
12-22-2013, 01:07 AM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
One other point: As much as I like primes, I prefer a WR zoom in foul weather simply because I wouldn't want to swap lenses in those conditions more than is strictly necessary.
+1. Very good point!