Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
Site Supporter

M42 adapter challenge ...

Hi Pentaxians,

I've recently bought an M42 to P/K adapter on ebay, however, I have some issues mounting it on my K-5 and not wanting to press my luck I now hope one of you can help clarify what could be the issue. The adapter I bought can be found here:

Adapter für M42 Objektive an Pentax Bajonett | eBay

(Please scroll down a bit to see the ebay auction ad).

The "challenge" is that even if I can get the adapter to slip in through the K-5 mount it is as if the adapter is maybe still half a millimeter from being all the way into the K-5 mount. Also I can't rotate the adapter in the K-5 mount.

I'm rather reluctant to use any kind of force - and wonder if maybe the adapter could be faulty or I have to set the lens' or the camera's controls in a certain way to make it lock into the K-5 mount?

Hope one of you can help - and Christmas Greetings to you

Jesper

12-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The listing is over, so we cannot see any photos of it. Could you maybe post a photo of the adapter? A close up crop would be great.
Does this adapter come with a tool?
With adapters you usually have to align the little red dot, and then push it in and twist it in until it locks. Some adapters are tight, and you might have to depress a little lever on them. But they should still lock, "click" on the mount. This click might require just a little bit of pressure, much like when you mount a lens.
But if its a cheap no brand adapter be careful! There were cases of adapters getting stuck on the camera mount, and then the whole camera mount had to be disassembled. There are many threads on this, so maybe you can search the forums for more info.
12-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi - & thanks for your quick reply. Surprising though that you can't see the adapter when clicking on the link I gave ... when I click it I go to the "end of auction" webpage and if I scroll down just a bit the adapter can be seen.

I don't know if it's a no name adapter but on the top side - the side that points towards the lens when screwed into the lens - it says "M42-Pentax Japan".

Anyway I'll see if I can take some pictures tomorrow and post them here

Cheers,

Jesper
12-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ooh, I thought scrolling down only shows "similar items" but you are right, it shows the ended auction, too.
The adapter looks a lot like the modern day genuine Pentax adapter, except that the depressions look like they were crudely cut. Maybe that is preventing a smooth lock?

12-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's not the genuine thing - the originals never come with the tool pictured. Plus, the originals only say PENTAX and then Japan on the opposite side.

Try tpmo wiggle the adapter around a bit - it should sit flush eith the mount. And make sure you're mounting it properly, the spring should sit next to the lens release until you twist the adapter.
12-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
dms
Site Supporter

Some adapters are oversize (it may be the plating process is not properly accounted for?) as regards the camera body and/or under size as regards the lens.

I normally only use genuine Pentax one, but I wanted one that closed aperture (for lens w/ spring mounted manual/automatic switch), and I had this problem w/ it. Best to use the genuine Pentax adapter.
12-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #7

If the adapter is stuck in the mount, check my old thread on this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/120-general-technical-troubleshooting/167...ml#post1736090
12-22-2013, 02:25 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi all,

& thank you very much for your replies. To make sure that nothing inadvertently happens that could lock the mount adapter onto the camera I've decided to remove the spring and screw altogether - and now it seems to work :-) The adapter twists onto the camera mount and the slight distance that I had previously noticed between the adapter and the camera mount is now gone. The adapter doesn't, however, seem to lock onto the camera mount - i.e. I don't have to press the lens release button to unscrew the adapter - but since it's firmly fixed anyway it doesn't really matter (I think ..). I somehow have an impression that you've saved me quite some trouble with your replies - so thanks! And best wishes for the days to come.

Jesper

12-22-2013, 05:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Well, the spring is what actually locks the adapter in, so...
12-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@Giklab: Right then ... so there's a reason ;-)

Cheers, Jesper