Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2013, 01:11 AM   #1

Few questions about K 5 II

Hi all:

I'm new to Pentax system and I have purchased the K 5 II recently and just a few questions about the camera:

1. I heard the K 5 II has nigh ISO NR in RAW above ISO 3200, can this be turned off ( Does this feature makes the K 5 II a better performer than the Nikon D7000/7100 in turn of noise, or Pentax's tweak of the 16MP Sony sensor better than Nikon's) ?

2. I also heard it doesn't support UHS-I card, does this mean using Sandisk extreme and extreme pro cards are no different from using ultra cards?

3. Also does the picture style mode affect RAW output?

4. What are the some of recommended menu settings for K 5 II?

Thanks you guys so much and hope everyone had a good Christmas!

12-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

2. I believe this is correct.

3. No.

4. Very personal decision--you would get many opinions to this question. I shoot raw, and I like to make a minimum of decisions in the moment. So I stick with Av or TAv usually, no instant image review, status screen off, center AF point, etc.
12-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ColiNiloK Quote
Hi all:

I'm new to Pentax system and I have purchased the K 5 II recently and just a few questions about the camera:

1. I heard the K 5 II has nigh ISO NR in RAW above ISO 3200, can this be turned off ( Does this feature makes the K 5 II a better performer than the Nikon D7000/7100 in turn of noise, or Pentax's tweak of the 16MP Sony sensor better than Nikon's) ?

2. I also heard it doesn't support UHS-I card, does this mean using Sandisk extreme and extreme pro cards are no different from using ultra cards?

3. Also does the picture style mode affect RAW output?

4. What are the some of recommended menu settings for K 5 II?

Thanks you guys so much and hope everyone had a good Christmas!
1. Even if you turn off NR for high ISO there will be applied some NR above 1600, I believe, but not a whole lot. And it seems Pentax has squeezed some more out of this sensor than Nikon has, but the difference is not dramatic.

2. It supports UHS-1 in the sense that it can read it, but it won't give you any extra speed.

4. As filoxophy says, this is highly personal. I shoot raw+JPEG, and set vivid colours for the JPEG. I don't remember settings for sharpening etc as I rarely use the JPEGs for anything anyway...

Happy holidays to you too!
12-28-2013, 05:56 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the help guys.

Little high ISO NR is fine. Reason why I asked about picture style is I heard about the "bright" picture style on Pentax cameras has some funny colour rendering, not too sure as this is my first Pentax camera( still on the way).

Also Just wondering there is no set up guide or manual walk through around online for the K 5 II?

12-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I can tell you that my k-5ii renders blues & reds very brightly/vibrantly.

The k-5 in depth review has some suggestions for settings that might help you.
12-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi,

about the "bright" picture style
Yes, but you can change it to Natural as the default is "Bright".

I had been wanting to respond to this post and then it skipped.

1. Yes there is a setting for that you can change that in the settings and I recommend Custom Settings for Noise reduction.

2. Yes, it does not support. But still stick to Class 10 SDHCs. You wouldn't get extra speed but still would get the speed almost as advertised.

3. No, as the option is greyed out. So you can't choose picture style.

4. There are none each man for his own. However there are a few threads around recommended settings. Look around the forum.

Also Just wondering there is no set up guide or manual walk through around online for the K 5 II?
Well, once you get the camera, you will see its just not a camera because it is so highly customizable. It is a lab on its own to be honest. Their are settings you might never touch. But mind you it gives all the settings of an advanced DSLR. So there is no online manual because it is just too tedious. Someone prefers some setting others prefer the other way around.

Happy shooting!
12-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote
Hi,

Yes, but you can change it to Natural as the default is "Bright".

I had been wanting to respond to this post and then it skipped.

1. Yes there is a setting for that you can change that in the settings and I recommend Custom Settings for Noise reduction.

2. Yes, it does not support. But still stick to Class 10 SDHCs. You wouldn't get extra speed but still would get the speed almost as advertised.

3. No, as the option is greyed out. So you can't choose picture style.

4. There are none each man for his own. However there are a few threads around recommended settings. Look around the forum.

Well, once you get the camera, you will see its just not a camera because it is so highly customizable. It is a lab on its own to be honest. Their are settings you might never touch. But mind you it gives all the settings of an advanced DSLR. So there is no online manual because it is just too tedious. Someone prefers some setting others prefer the other way around.

Happy shooting!
Thank you. I'm sure that once when I get the camera I will have lots of fun time exploring and using it, looking forward to receive it soon.

Any other things that I need to take notice of the system or the camera?