Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-5II less ISO-noise ?

Real knowers and videographers too, please report:
(No speculations and believes , I beg you dearly)

Did you see a real difference between K-5II and K-5 ?
This magazine said so:
http://www.chip.de/artikel/Pentax-K-5_II-DSLR-bis-1.000-Euro-Test_60240464.html

Last edited by TomGarn; 12-27-2013 at 12:14 PM.
12-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do not believe there is any significant difference in sensor tech between the K5 and K5 II. Differences are primarily in the focus department, where K5 II is more accurate.
12-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The K-5 and the K-5II (s) share the same sensor. Though the K-5IIs omitted the low pass filter. There is no significant difference. When chip.de says there is, they are wrong and probably used the data from the k-7. Look at the rating on dxo-mark (which is currently under some sort of ddos attack, probably p'd off a fanboy.)
12-27-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I'd say identical, though I found the K5-IIs to hold a slight advantage over the K-5 and K-5II in terms of noise performance.

12-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

That's why I stopped reading those magazines, they don't know what they say...
12-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In this article they speak about not the sensor but the engine that is better with noise.
Well ... I think they mostly do quite a good job in chip - of yourse I can't investigate that.
So I asked those of you who really know - because youcompared them ... and because
believe is an issue for everyone of us ... but we got science, right ?

Automatic translation:

Improved image quality visible
Clear case, the noise, the K-5 brings II hard on. Even at ISO 400 the measured values ​​are considerably better than the K-5 from. Even more pronounced differences can be seen at high ISO values: At ISO 3200 and above are worlds between the two Pentax models. Thus, the K-5 came at ISO 3200 on a Visual-Noise value (VN 1) of 4.6, the K-5 II brings it to only 2.8 (VN 1). The "visual noise" measurement method yields statements like annoying people feel the noise of a photo. The VN 1 measurement refers to the perception of noise on the screen. At values ​​below 2.0 (VN 1) we speak of a non-visible image noise. In practice, you see the image on the monitor noise at ISO 3,200, for A3 printing, you can also use two ISO steps higher. Compared to the cheaper Pentax DSLR K-30 or the Sony Alpha 57 , the K-5 II is doing well, but still not at the same level in the noise poverty. The light sensitivity begins at ISO 80 and reaches a maximum of up to ISO 51,200. The 16-megapixel sensor delivers a good but not outstanding edge sharpness. We measure 1,375 line pairs per picture height at ISO 100 The resolution maintains this level relatively stable up to ISO 1600 with, from ISO 3200 she slowly starts to subside. The bottom line is the only minimally better results than with the K-5 . This also applies to the color fidelity, which has still weaknesses in light turquoise and blue tones. The dynamic range remains at all ISO settings just under ten f-stops.

Bildqualität sichtbar verbessert Klarer Fall, beim Bildrauschen holt die K-5 II kräftig auf. Schon bei ISO 400 fallen die Messwerte deutlich besser als bei der K-5 aus. Noch deutlichere Unterschiede zeigen sich bei hohen ISO-Werten: Bei ISO 3.200 und darüber liegen Welten zwischen den beiden Pentax-Modellen. So kam die K-5 bei ISO 3.200 auf einen Visual-Noise-Wert (VN1) von 4,6, die K-5 II bringt es auf nur 2,8 (VN1). Das „Visual Noise“-Messverfahren liefert Aussagen, wie störend Menschen das Bildrauschen eines Fotos empfinden. Die VN1-Messung bezieht sich auf die Wahrnehmung von Rauschen am Bildschirm. Bei Werten unterhalb von 2,0 (VN1) sprechen wir von einem nicht-sichtbaren Bildrauschen. In der Praxis sehen Sie das Bildrauschen am Monitor ab ISO 3.200, für den DIN-A3-Druck können Sie auch noch zwei ISO-Stufen höher einsetzen. Im Vergleich mit der günstigeren Pentax-DSLR K-30 oder der Sony Alpha 57 steht die K-5 II gut da, aber noch nicht auf gleichem Niveau bei der Rauscharmut. Die Lichtempfindlichkeit beginnt bei ISO 80 und reicht maximal bis ISO 51.200.
12-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
Pentaxian

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Pentax-K-5-II-versus-Pen...___829_830_676

K-5 /II/IIs all have the prime II engine. The differences are marginal. When you have a K-5 and want better iso performance? Get a full frame. Want more resolution? Get a K-3
12-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I think they have pasted the K-5 versus K-7 article and changed the names...

12-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well ... So I am close to buy a new / used K-5
why even think of spending 250,- € more on a K-5II ?

About a better AF I can't see much trouble really - for me.
I always have been satisfied with the poor but good enough
AF of my K10D - but I must say that I am used to zoom in every
photo I do anyway, to see if sharpness is OK - and picture is stable.
(My K-7 is for video only - it seems to be almost the same AF as on the K10)

And when it turned out to be off true focus (my lense was the bad boy) I did
manual focussing for almost two months - just as I am used to always do it on
all my broadcast cameras I ever shot videos with ... where AF just is no choice up
to this day - and parfocal lenses are a must anyway. So zoom in tele - get it sharp -
zoom back and shoot - that takes some time ... well OK to me then ...

Once you are used to shoot with AF always and blindly of course you must have a very good
AF you can trust completely ... so I can understand all your constant cravings for a real good AF.
12-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is "Prime II" the same as "Prime M"? I thought the K-5iis had the prime M engine.
12-31-2013, 12:15 AM   #11
Pentaxian

From what I read in reviews is that the 16.3mp sensor was an updated one, not the same one as the K-5

EG:
Pentax K-5 II and K-5 II S: Digital Photography Review
12-31-2013, 03:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I needed someone WHO REALLY KNOWS ...
and not that many believes ... and quotes ... etc ...
I thought in this forum someone really knew - I was almost dissapointed.

But now It's to late - I have just ordered a used K-5 ... ( just K-5 )
to begin a new year with a slightly better video-DSLR than the K-7

Happy new year to all of you !
12-31-2013, 08:43 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by TomGarn Quote
I needed someone WHO REALLY KNOWS ...
and not that many believes ... and quotes ... etc ...
I thought in this forum someone really knew - I was almost dissapointed.

But now It's to late - I have just ordered a used K-5 ... ( just K-5 )
to begin a new year with a slightly better video-DSLR than the K-7

Happy new year to all of you !

forum...not manufacturer.
01-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
Is "Prime II" the same as "Prime M"? I thought the K-5iis had the prime M engine.
All 5-series cameras use the Prime II, which is why their video specs are similarly outdated. The Prime M was used in the K-01 and K-30, hence their similar video specs (and focus peaking).

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
From what I read in reviews is that the 16.3mp sensor was an updated one, not the same one as the K-5

EG:
Pentax K-5 II and K-5 II S: Digital Photography Review
It's the 2012 model of the same sensor, so if Sony did something in those two years it could be tough to demonstrate but it's possible!
01-03-2014, 09:33 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TomGarn Quote
well ... So I am close to buy a new / used K-5
why even think of spending 250,- € more on a K-5II ?

About a better AF I can't see much trouble really - for me.
I always have been satisfied with the poor but good enough
AF of my K10D - but I must say that I am used to zoom in every
photo I do anyway, to see if sharpness is OK - and picture is stable.
(My K-7 is for video only - it seems to be almost the same AF as on the K10)

And when it turned out to be off true focus (my lense was the bad boy) I did
manual focussing for almost two months - just as I am used to always do it on
all my broadcast cameras I ever shot videos with ... where AF just is no choice up
to this day - and parfocal lenses are a must anyway. So zoom in tele - get it sharp -
zoom back and shoot - that takes some time ... well OK to me then ...

Once you are used to shoot with AF always and blindly of course you must have a very good
AF you can trust completely ... so I can understand all your constant cravings for a real good AF.
The improved autofocus of the K-5II is worth the additional cost, IMO, and gives you better IQ even with the same sensor. If you can afford it, get the K-5II. You will not regret it.

Rob