Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2014, 07:48 AM   #1

Prime for K-5 ll

Hi folks,

I will soon get my first Pentax, ever. The K-5 ll with 18-55 WR. Great deal on them now so I couldn't resist...

Anyway, would the 35 SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F:2.8 Limited Macro be a good place to start? Both as walk around and close up.

And is the new version much better? Seems so regarding price difference.

http://www.fotokungen.com/pub_images/original/HD35mm_6187.jpg http://www.fotokungen.com/pub_images/original/SMC35macro_3711.jpg

Thanks.

01-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
About as good as it gets.

No idea on the new HD version, should be the same optically just new coatings.
01-04-2014, 12:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mimik Quote
Hi folks,

I will soon get my first Pentax, ever. The K-5 ll with 18-55 WR. Great deal on them now so I couldn't resist...

Anyway, would the 35 SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F:2.8 Limited Macro be a good place to start? Both as walk around and close up.

And is the new version much better? Seems so regarding price difference.

http://www.fotokungen.com/pub_images/original/HD35mm_6187.jpg http://www.fotokungen.com/pub_images/original/SMC35macro_3711.jpg

Thanks.
The 35 Ltd is my favored walk-about lens. But the 15mm Limited haunts my dreams and makes me use it more. My photo style is wide angle architecture and landscape. Your style may differ. the color and sharpness of these two lenses are phenomenal.

I also have the 70mm Limited and a Sigma f1.4 50 mm prime. None of these lenses go a week in the bag without exercise. My long zooms get ignored these days. The 70 is my people lens and the 50 is my low light lens.

I recommend the 35mm Macro Limited for your first prime. Imagine sharpness and color contrast seen in HDR photo shopped images. The 35 can do the same with a single image, IMHO, and the print will not look like a cartoon book's cover.
01-05-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For primes I have the 35 Ltd macro, along with a 50 macro, 70 Ltd and now the 15mm Limited. Unless I am inside a building for events, the 35 is my most used prime. Depending on the weather, the 18-135mm gets a lot of use because it's so versatile and with WR. For your question I say the 35 SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F:2.8 Limited Macro is good.

01-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A prime is not really the definition of a walk-around lens unless you want all your shots to have the same perspective. 35 is about the normal view, but it's a bit short for macros as there is not a lot of working room.
01-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
A prime is not really the definition of a walk-around lens unless you want all your shots to have the same perspective. 35 is about the normal view, but it's a bit short for macros as there is not a lot of working room.
So define "walk around lens." seems to me that a focal length approximating the human eye's perspective would be that definition. A 35 mm lens on an APS sensor has a full frame equivalent FOV of about 50mm, which was the film era sta dard normal lens.

Perspective varies with where you stand. And the 35 Ltd is not a dedicated Macro. Just a very sharp normal lens with macro capabilities of close focus.
01-05-2014, 02:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Walk-around is a single lens that can be used to capture most images you might come across in a a casual catch-as-catch-can outing.

Of course it is a matter of personal style and preference which makes this question somewhat meaningless.

01-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Walk-around is a single lens that can be used to capture most images you might come across in a a casual catch-as-catch-can outing.

Of course it is a matter of personal style and preference which makes this question somewhat meaningless.
Good definition. I like it. So if I am walking through urban canyons, the 15mm Ltd might fit the definition. If strolling through open meadows with wooded fringes, the 35mm or the 50mm might be the choice. At ten thousand feet of altitude on a clear day on Going to the Sun Road in Glacier, I might choose my 55-300 mm. In a restaurant or at a party, the 70mm would fit the definition.
01-06-2014, 08:55 AM   #9
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

For me 35 is a good focal length for a walkaround. But I would suggest you use your kit lens for a while and see what focal lengths you typically use the most and let that guide you in what prime(s) to get.

As for the difference between the SMC and HD versions, it doesn't look to be a whole lot: HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

FWIW, I bought the "old" versions of both the 21 and the 70 after the HD arrived.
01-06-2014, 10:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
And here we have the ancient "prime vs zoom" debate. There is no way to resolve this, as each type of lens has advantages and disadvantages. Use whatever you like.

Also, a prime lens may give you a fixed angle of view, but that is not the same as perspective, which depends on how close the camera is to the subject. In that regard, the two most important decisions that a photographer makes is where to stand and when to release the shutter.

Rob
01-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

It really depends on where you are walking around. If you're wandering around parks and landscapes, then you can very often always get far enough away to capture what you want with a 35mm. (You'll run into more trouble not being able to get close enough.) If you're going to be indoors, at museums and such, you may find 35mm to be too narrow, as rooms are only so large, and they don't always let you stand in the corner. Or sometimes, there's just too many people in the place, so even when you can get far enough away, you'll never get a clear shot.

If you want to be versatile, you may consider a 35 and a 21 together as your walk arounds. That would probably work well.
01-06-2014, 05:46 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Also, a prime lens may give you a fixed angle of view, but that is not the same as perspective, which depends on how close the camera is to the subject.
That is true. I was a bit sloppy with the wording.
01-09-2014, 08:04 PM   #13

OR .... go retro like me - an old $50.00, 28mm f2.8 Takumar-A manual focus is my normal lens (42mm converted to FF) . Small......slightly wide......fast.....cheap.....decent macro.....pleasure of manual focus
01-09-2014, 08:13 PM   #14

Actually though - if I had more money - the 24mm f2.0 would be IT! I do mean IT! That is a normal perspective if you ask me and if you want to "ZOOM" - walk closer to the subject!!
01-10-2014, 05:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The only annoying feature of the DA35 Macro is that if the AF misses at long distance it can hunt all the way to the close-up end stop before trying again. And that 35mm is a bit short for a macro - anything alive will crawl or fly away as you try to get within a few cm of its nose